“Don't even bother with this mess.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Benash Delicatessen

Benash Delicatessen
857 7th Ave, New York City, NY 10019-5229 (Manhattan)
212-265-1818
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #8,650 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Dublin, Ireland
“Don't even bother with this mess.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

This place probably only survives on the overflow from the diner across the street. It sure looked enticing with all the red neon and all, but when the queue was too long in our favorite place on 5th, we stumbled in here and it was deserted. It was the breakfast rush and it was deserted. The alarm bells started going off in my head, but like a fool I went ahead and sat down.

There was a bunch of navy guys sitting in the corner, bothering nobody, just sitting passing the time. They were told to leave for no good reason.

The home fries were greasy and unpleasant, the "canadian bacon" was some sort of cheap, nasty deli roll. The service was pushy and inaccurate.

The worst part was the waitress pushing for a 20% tip. We had originally left about 15% (which was too much in my opinion) for the lousy food and service. The waitress came back and told us the tip was 20% "but it's up to you guys...". She kept hanging around until she got the tip too, even though it was up to us.

I won't be returning.

• Finnish first
Connecticut
“Lunch at Benash”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

I agree with some of the others. The worst place I have eaten in New York and I have been here often. Like someone said the location is nice, but that is about it. It does smell delicious when walking down the street, but after eating there it may be another little shop located farther down. The waitress was probably the best thing about the whole lunch. I believe she knows the food is not very good. She actually told us her sister had one of the items we ordered and that she did not like that either. The drink that I ordered was so bad that I could not finish. The soup was very nasty and filled with garlic.

This was just not a good place for lunch and their prices were so high it was sick. We should of just had the drink and left. Lunch cost me almost $80 with a tip. We had dinner, dessert and drinks in Little Italy that evening for $108 tip included.

This place should close down, but as one review said nobody knows how bad it is until they get in there and eat.

torrente13
“Avoid like the plague, terrible food, worst "service" ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

Avoid like the plague, terrible food, worst service ever.

I've been to New York City many times and never, ever had such a terrible experience as this one.
The food was so bad I left it almost completely. But the worst thing was the waitress throwing a fit for a 20% tip when I already gave her the 18% even though she did not deserve it because she was extremely rude the whole time and the "food" couldn't be worst. No wonder the place was half empty. Avoid like the plague.

Hereford UK
“Brilliant Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

Good service, friendly and attentive staff. very good food, huge portions. the price is very reasonable. do not understand the bad reviews, ate here every morning for breakfast. will do again when we return.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“agree with reviewers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

Like others have said, we were so hungry and tired after a heavy day of sightseeing that we wandered into the seemingly congenial atmosphere of the BenAsh. Its location is brilliant - that's why it keeps going I suspect, we mostly tried to eat at recommended restaurants, but on this occasion took a chance.
My meal was OK, but had clearly been microwaved, as the bread was hard as nails. The total bill was the second most expensive bill we had in 7 days of eating in Manhattan!! There seemed to be quite an argument going on among the waiters when we were there, which didn't exactly add to our experience.
Avoid this place if you can...