“Authentic Russian Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Russian Samovar

Russian Samovar
256 W 52nd St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
+1 212-757-0168
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Russian Samovar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #937 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Russian, Eastern European
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadwy & 8th
Transit: 50 St (A, C, E) 50 St (1, 2) 7 Av (B, D, E)
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Authentic Russian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Having lived in Russia during the 90s, I have eaten a lot of Russian food, and when visiting NYC recently, I was excited to try this restaurant. It exceeded my expectation. Each dish was not only prepared authentically, it was simply delicious and beautifully presented. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. The only disappointment came when I ordered the Russian soup, okroshka, made with kvass, they were out of kvass. We substituted borsht instead, and it was sweet and tart, fragrant with julienne carrots and beets. Varennyki with mushrooms and potatoes are savory and rich. Tea is served in the charming metal holders that you find on the Russian trains and accompanied by a dish of sour cherry jam. Russian Samovar is not cheap, but well worth it if you want to try Russian cuisine. Well situated near Times Square if you are headed to the theater.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I came here with a Bloomspot deal my friend bought but couldn't use. I thought the decor and service were great! The deal entitled us to $100 worth of caviar and either champagne or a small pitcher (5 shots) of flavored vodka.

Food: 4 pancakes, small seashell of black caviar, 2 small pieces of smoked salmon. Pancakes we super greasy and the rest was only alright.
Side condiments: chopped up hard boiled eggs, sour cream and red onions.
Vodka: we got the pear, although it smelled delicious, tasted like regular vodka.

I thought it was kind of crap that we tipped on the full amount of $100 when we didn't get a hundred dollars worth of food. When I did the math myself it was closer to $50 and that was the original price my friend paid for the coupon. =\

Bottom-line: Although it's a good experience, and I'm glad I got to try it out, I would probably never come back here.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Afternoon drink!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We did have a chance to eat here, just made a quick stop to have a drink before we saw our play! Cute place and great bartender! My mom said it was the best Vodka Tonic she ever had!

Visited April 2014
Smithtown, New York
“Authentic Food.. Superb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I eat it a lot. Especially NYC. I love to try different types of food... The food was outstanding. I recommend the Olivier salad and the Chicken Kiev. Live Piano and amazing desserts topped off the evening.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City
“Enjoyed the Russian Samovar very much.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Originally, my wife and I wanted to go to another Russian restaurant after a Broadway show. The Russian Samovar was the only one of those we called that gave us a reservation for 10:15 PM.

The food was great and the service was excellent. A very fine young Ukrainian lady was our server. She was tops!

We particularly wanted to taste different types of caviar and so we did. Excellent caviar!

The place is a bit noisy and there is a Karaoke. However, I got inspired and sang "Sixteen Tons". (The guests didn't leave.)

All in all, a most enjoyable evening. When we return to New York we shall definitely dine at the Russian Samovar.

• Visited March 2014