“Excellent Classical French Bistro Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tout Va Bien

Tout Va Bien
311 west 51st street, New York City, NY 10019-6408 (Manhattan)
(212) 265-0190
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: E c train one block away on 50th sreeet.
Transit: E, C train one block away on 50th Street.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent Classical French Bistro Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was meeting a friend in the City who adores French food, especially bistro food, and she suggested this restaurant. he was correct and their bistro food is classic French ranging from Tripe to Calves' head. She ordered the filet with Foie Gras while I ordered hearts of Palms along with tripe a la Caen. All the food was excellent - the filet was cooked perfectly (medium rare) and the tripe dish was extremely subtle with a delicate touch. Downsides were the fact that the restaurant is quite small and thus cramped. The wait staff speak poor English and service was spotty. This did not detract from the food however. An interesting choice close to the theatres.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Friendly Sale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had car service and I wanted a bottle of wine to enjoy on the ride home, so I went in search of a liquor store in area. Failing to find one, I stopped in a few bars on the street and each said they do not sell package goods. I entered Tout and was greeted by a friendly hostess, who when I explained my wanting to purchase a bottle of wine, found someone who could help. I was given a nice choice with thoughtful explaination of each, and the bottle was gladly opened, then recorked so we would be able to enjoy in the limo. We enjoyed the bottle and it made the end of the evening very nice on the way home. You might expect price gouging as a possibility, but not here. I was offered a variety of wines at all different prices. I'm just happy to have found a place that greeted me so friendly, only wanting to purchase a bottle of wine and helping me pick a very nice one. We had a fantastic night and the nightcap in the car, was a fitting closing. We will try the food once we feel like French cuisine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been going to Tout Va Bien for over 20 years, boy is it easy to see it has changed hands . Gone is the fun exciting atmosphere hustle bustle friendliness . The woman who greeted us was mean. Our waitress was nice though. It was virtually empty for a Saturday night. Would not recommend it now, it's a shame . The old owners have another place called Le Baratin will check it out next time I'm in the city.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bronxville, New York
“All Is Not Well”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Despite its name, all is not well at Tout Va Bien, one of the theater district's long-time French bistros. A hastily written sign warned us that the bar is not open, having apparently just lost their liquor license. During our stay, the owner came by to personally remove the licenses from the mirror behind the bar, and to tell us that he didn't know when it would be available again. So, everyone was rushing out to the nearest liquor store. The menu is on a large, rather unsightly plastic card. Service seemed distraught and the food only just above average. The price is right, though, and they do get you out in time for the theater curtain. Tout Va Bien claims to be the oldest French bistro in the district. Whether they will survive now remains to be seen.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Milton, Delaware
“The Feel of Paris on the West Side of Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Tout Va Bien is a restaurant that we have enjoyed for several years now, on the West Side of Manhattan. The place has a feel of an authentic French bistro, and you are always greeted by a host or hostess who is authentically French. The food is authentically French as well, with such classics as onion soup, Mussels in garlic and wine sauce (with fabulous, crunchy French baguettes for dipping, or beef bourginon, or chicken cordon bleu, or steak frites, all served with savory sauces and much elan. Tout Va Bien also serves classic desserts, such as creme caramel and a rich chocolate mousse. I've been there when it is quiet and when it is hopping with happy diners. Either way, go - for the food, the atmosphere, and the feeling that you just might be in Paris, even in the middle of Manhattan.

• Visited October 2013