“It just keeps getting better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Azteca

El Azteca
783 Ninth Avenue, Frnt A, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)
+1 212-307-0616
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #207 of 11,181 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Midtown
New York City, New York
“It just keeps getting better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I reviewed this delightful place over a year ago ... and it has only improved since then! The drinks are still superb (those frozen Margaritas are an especial favorite!) and the food has more variety with still more care taken with freshness and presentation. I've been back many times over the past three months and the service to your table will always be first rate and the food (I've tried many dishes on the menu) is consistently top-notch. The owner, Maria Diaz, is a decided plus as she is often on the premises (greeting customers, as they come in, or cooking in her kitchen). Be sure to put El Azteca on your list of "must visit" N.Y.C. restaurants!

• Visited January 2014

New York
“Always Like Home Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stop in for dinner with a friend about once a month and I'm amazed that they always greet us as if we're family with big hello's and knowing our drink orders without asking. The food has always been terrific and the service top notch. We love going here because you can just relax, enjoy terrific Mexican food (the ceviche is a favorite) and feel right at home.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new york city
“Consistently enjoyable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have been to El Azteca many times over the years and can always count on a tasty, pleasurable meal with friendly service and excellent food. The drinks are pretty great,too. While not a high atmosphere restaurant, it is homey and comfortable. The portions are generous and the prices are very reasonable. I would not take someone here to impress them, but paradoxically, anyone I do bring is impressed.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“A Mexican Nirvana! Great food, lovely staff and service that spoils you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We dropped in after a harrowing work day and are at once greeted by the lovely owner of this restaurant. We ordered the black bean soup and guacamole and were bowled over by the tenderness of the black beans and tasty soup. The guac came in an authentic spectacular Mexican bowl (prob made of lava stone) and was seasoned perfectly for us. Then the pumpkin flan arrived and we were in dessert heaven!

Definitely put this place on your bucket list, it's well worth it!

• Visited November 2013
Agawam, Massachusetts
“We always feel like family! Very attentive! Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband & I sort of found this gem by default, and now we return every chance we get. Every time we go we feel like family. The service is impeccable with the servers being attentive to your every need. They have many tvs running simultaneously, & when they noticed that I had to crane my head around to see what my husband was viewing, they came over without my asking and changed the station of a more conveniently situated tv, so I didn't have to strain my neck. On one visit I ordered unlimited mimosas, and unlike other restaurants where you have to beg for a refill, they refilled my empty glass as soon as I put it down. We also once complimented their hot sauce (of which my husband is a connoisseur), and they graciously informed us where we could purchase for ourselves at a local market. Naturally, this a restaurant, and I'm sure you want to hear about the food - we find this dishes to be reasonably priced, innovative, varied and fresh!! Please do not hesitate to visit friendly, casual, comfortable restaurant, and soon you'll feel like family, too!!

• Visited August 2013