“An Old Grande Dame still at the top” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
3 E 52nd St, New York City, NY 10022-5301 (Manhattan)
212-752-1495
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grenouille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Washington Dc
“An Old Grande Dame still at the top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have dined at La Grenouille for many years whenever I visit NYC and I have the time and desire for a culinary experience. I am not a regular by any stretch of the imagination so I do not get to sit in the first horseshoe where the A-listers sit but I have managed not to be seated next to the kitchen entrance either. The place is as elegant and exquisite as it was the first day it opened 40+ years ago. The flowers are still incredible. Well let's leave the decor and ambiance and talk about the food, which is still among the best in Manhattan if not Paris. My latest visit was for lunch with a friend and we arrived on time and were escorted to a great banquet in the second horseshoe with a nice view of the entire room. We ordered drinks and were given menus, we opted for the prix fixe 3 course lunch since it not only allows you to order from the prix fixe menu but anything else in the a la carte menu. We ordered sweetbreads and the salmon rillettes for starters, then we ordered the frog legs (which carried a small surcharge above the prix fixe and are the best) and the calves' liver, and for dessert we order the a pistachio soufflé (also carried a small surcharge but I have never had it) and the tart tartan with maple ice cream. We also ordered a wonderful and reasonable Pomerol Bordeaux which turned out to be superb, the waiter decanted it for us. The entire meal was over the top, the service was excellent and the place pack and as good as ever. Although they have made some adjustments, now men do not need ties or coats to be seated like the old days but I guess they had to adapt to survive in this casual environment that we are currently living. When you leave La Grenouille, you knows that you have had a great meal and experience.

• Visited December 2013

88% Recommend
Scottsdale, Arizona
“OUI,OUI!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

what can we say when everything from start to bottom makes you feel you are transported to a special place where food is original :no foams or big plates with little food items?
Roger Bouillon is defintely the reason the afternoon was exquisite but the food and ambiance made it one of the best meals we have had.
We sat down for lunch and the place has so much personality that it made you feel you were in a personal residence. We started with a wonderful white wine and I had the sweetbreads and my spouse the clams. delicoius. For mains we had the Dover sole and the Frog legs: Wow! Roger brought us some split pea soup with a personal pouring of croutons. We finished with the souffles(Grand Marnier) but with all the little dessert extras it truly was a memorable lunch. the service was impeccable and it made the cost of lunch seem unimportant( $305+tips)

• Visited December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Un excellent repas, encore et encore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I are fortunate to dine frequently at Charles Masson's remarkable bit of Paris in NYC. The staff, the decor (including the ever-changing, always spectacular floral displays – arranged by the owner, himself!), and not least of all the delectable and extremely satisfying fare, make for an exceptionally memorable experience. Make your reservation soon, and save the plane fare to Paris!

• Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
“Fabulous spot, classic French food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a late reservation (9:45pm) and felt no rush. We had a very romantic table and thought the food was superb. I had the duck and loved every bite. The souffles were spectacular! The flowers are indeed gorgeous. Don't miss this landmark, it is amazing and was a fantastic dining experience.

• Visited November 2013
“Enchanting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our 32 year old son treated us to dinner at la grenouille as part of our Chanukah present (yes, we have a very wonderful and generous son). The food, service and atmosphere were nothing short of magical. The scent of the Lillie's will stay in my memory for a very long time. My husband and son had the Dover sole; I had turbot. I had the chestnut soup and they had salads. Chocolate dessert outstanding. The service was extremely attentive and very warm. We ate upstairs and we were made to feel very special. Just a very beautiful atmosphere and a wonderful evening in NYC!

• Visited November 2013