“A timeless classic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
3 E 52nd St, New York City, NY 10022-5301 (Manhattan)
212-752-1495
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grenouille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cross street: Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“A timeless classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My parents used to eat here back in the 50's & 60's and was one of their favorites in NYC. I took my wife for her 40th for our first time to Manhattan. We took in a show and dinner at La Grenouille and it was everything I hoped it would be. Impeccable service, attention to detail, elegant, initmate and outstanding food. I hope someday my daughters will be able to enjoy this restaurant 20 yrs from now as much as my wife and I did this spring and as my parents did back in their day. This is the perfect spot for dinner before Broadway.

• Visited May 2013

Amarillo, TX
“Super yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Excellent food and atmosphere. This is a special NYC restaurant that has a "lived-in" feel. Old-style plug-in lamps on all the tables, well-used dinnerware, and superb food. Even though the restaurant was crowded and all the tables are very close together, my husband and I felt we had enjoyed the most romantic experience ever.

Visited April 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Consistent Prefection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been going to La Grenouille for years whenever I come to NY. I went again this week and as always it was perfect. Either lunch or dinner are always divine. This last time I went for lunch. We both had the Dover Sole w the mustard sauce and it is the best I have ever had. This French restaurant uses their flavors to perfection and does not have to resort to lots of added salt which is nice. The mixed appetizer plate that we let them chose for us was excellent and of course we had to finish our meal by sharing the grand marnier soufflé which was absolutely delicious. I left feeling not too full and well on my way to 5th Ave shopping which was right around the corner. This is truly one of our favorite restaurants in all the world. The staff is so professional and delightful too!!

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Every time I have the pleasure of eating there I realize how much I miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

For all my adult life, I have been blessed, with the pleasure of having wonderful meals at this temple of good food that boasts the most beautiful room in New York. Every time I go to la Grenoille, when I leave, I realize that I should go more often and enjoy been pampered in an exquisite room, where the service in impeccable and the food absolutely delicious.
If you can only go out once a year to dine, do yourself a big favor, go to la Grenoille, you will always thank me for the advise and remember an unforgetable establishement.

• Visited July 2013
New York
“Pampered and well fed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We ate here for lunch prior to a Saturday matinee. We opted to dine upstairs, which is less formal; men are required to wear jackets downstairs (with loaners available), but not upstairs. Downstairs is a beautiful room, but upstairs is magical. It was once a studio for a French painter, and has large windows and high ceilings (maybe 20 to 25 feet). There are two levels, with a skylight over the upper level, and plants and flowers throughout.

We were the only diners upstairs, with three waiters and a captain tending to our every wish! We had enjoyable conversations with a waiter and the captain. When a waiter came over to take my dessert plate, he asked if I'd enjoyed it. I told him I had, and that if they weren't there, I'd lick the plate. He immediately turned away and spread his arms, as if to shield me from his colleagues' view.

We opted for the two-plate prix fixe lunch, an entree and a dessert. I had a lamb chop special, and it was luscious. My wife had quenelles of pike, which she enjoyed although it was not exactly what she expected from having had it in France. She had an apricot tart special dessert, and I had a chocolate cake with cherries. Superb. Afterward, they brought over a plate with small madeleines, small nut cookies and tuile cookies. As if that weren't enough, a waiter brought over a tray of tiny tarts of raspberries.

Is all this luxury cheap? Of course not. But most treats aren't. This is a restaurant that can make any meal feel like a special occasion. For such a restaurant, the price is quite reasonable.

• Visited June 2013