“A little Piece of Paris in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
3 E 52nd St, New York City, NY 10022-5301 (Manhattan)
212-752-1495
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grenouille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 11,748 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“A little Piece of Paris in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I finally decided to have dinner at La Grenouille. We had heard a lot of good reviews but never had decided to try it. We go to NYC quite often and always stay next door at the Omni Berkshire. La Grenouille is nicely located. You have to make reservations at least a werk in advance because it is very busy for both lunch and dinner. The service is excellent. Since you arrive at the front door. The dining room is nicely decorated with vivid color and an impressive array of fresh flowers. They have an extensive wine list. we ordered a glass of champagne to start, followed by a bottle of red wine. I ordered the snapper tartar to start. The fish was fresh, balanced flavors and perfect temperature. I then followed with a turbot as main course. The fish was perfectly cooked and flavorful. To finish, I had an expresso with the best tarte tatin (apple tart) I have tasted in my life. My husband had the chocolate souffle which was superb. Throughout our meal, the waiter staff and captain were extremely attentive to us. I have to say that we were very impressed with our experience, especially since we had dined at Jean Georges the night before. I strongly reccommend this place for an extraordinary dining experience. It is pricey but definately worth it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

california
“Wonderful Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner for three in the formal dining room of this restaurant. The menu was predominantly French though there was some influence from surrounding areas like Belgium and Germany. The service was perfectly attentive, not pushy, stuffy overbearing. The warm bread service continued throughout our evening which was very much appreciated as we were enjoying cocktails prior to our meal and needed something to absorb the alcohol :-). The first courses were served with just the right amount of saucing; neither too much nor too little, the Fluke Tartar and Foie Gras were cooked to perfection. Though pricey, the Chassagne-Montrachet was a great "bridge" wine between the various items selected to start our meal. Our Entrees were all different and each was reasonably good. The Tournedos de Boeuf was prepared to our guest's liking with the Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts providing a texture contrast. The Quenelles of Pike was another successful course that benefitted from the Chef's caviar infusion. The Lamb Chops were good but not great. The meat was a bit chewy and lacked the tenderness that I so much enjoy. However, the accompanying Swiss Chard and Potato "Gratin Dauphinois" were fabulous. We selected a Bordeaux, a 2005 Reserva Comtessa Lalande, to pair with the Boeuf and Lamb courses and it was a very nice wine. We all enjoyed a selection of cheeses, with honeycomb and toast points to finish our meal as none of us were interested in too many more sweets (mostly because we drank our dessert). The cheese was very good and our server presented us with an array of mignardise (small cookies) as well as a bowl of coated nuts with our coffee/tea. All-in-all a very nice meal.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Superb Quality and Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a fantastic place to eat. Very parisian interior where the waiters will whip away a table for you to get in and are not shy to greet regular customers as friends. I had lunch there in December as part of a very long love affair with the establishment. My friend was on a diet but could not resist the soufflé. Nor could I. Simple things done superbly well for a clientele that crosses all boundaries. I ate the endive salad and a filet. As it was lunch only a glass of house red. Atmosphere is refined but relaxed. The bill was a nice surprise for the quality and location. You don't have to like French food to eat here, just great food and great service. My compliments to the staff - I will be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington,DC
“Beautiful place with beautiful people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We loved being " the ladies who lunch" in this long time favorite. It was rated one of the top ten restaurants in NYC in 2012. The food was classic French. There were fresh flowers everywhere and almost a surfeit of wait staff. We felt pampered.

Visited January 2013
Brasilia, DF
“bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

although the food was good, we were seated at a horrible table, with the lamp wire running across our legs, the waiter was very stuffy, and almost stopped looking our way once he found out we weren´t going to drink alcohol

Visited May 2012