“Once was enough” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Bernardin

Le Bernardin
155 W 51st St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212 554 1515
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bernardin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 11,578 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Southwestern, French, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
New York City, New York
“Once was enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I guess we expected so much more from this 3 star Michelin restaurant because when you're awarding a restaurant such a high honor, you expect an overall great experience. Unfortunately, that was not to be for us. The service was amiss, dinner was rushed and the ambiance was lackluster. The reason I gave it 4 stars is because the food was indeed fabulous. Everything we ate was prepared beautifully and was absolutely delicious. It's definitely a place you want to try once, but once was enough for us.

Visited August 2013

Harrison, New York
“Amazing seafood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The best seafood anywhere and fancy atmosphere. Quite pricey, but worth it for special occasions or business meetings.

Visited August 2013
atlanta
“Always spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stopped in for the City Harvest lunch at the bar. It was terrific and I can't believe it's $40.

I had a carrot ginger soup with diced lobster cubes....sheer perfection.
The main course was cod with a Meyer lemon emulsion. The fish was cooked to perfection and was somehow slightly crispy on top...just fabulous.
I finished with a selection of ice creams and sorbets...salted milk chocolate, strawberry sorbet, milk sorbet (inexplicably good) and vanilla ice cream. Served with a brown butter shortbread cookie.

The service there is always wonderful and I love the decor. This may be my favorite restaurant anyway. If you have never been do the City Harvest menu in the lounge or bar. Very affordable way to sample Eric Ripert's wonderful cuisine. You get a choice of two dishes over 3 courses and a contribution to City Harvest is made. You can't lose here.

Short Hills, New Jersey
“Once in a lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I am 11 years old and a foodie. This was the best meal I have ever had. My family had the le bernadin tasting menu. It was absolutly delicious. My favorite was the first course. It was the amazing thinly pounded tuna. The decor was breathtaking. It was truly original. The most distinct thing that made it a five star restaurant was the service. If you accidenly drop your napkin they will get you a new one. Compared to perse the 7 course meal is $150 at le bernadin verses $295 at perse. I never have seen anything like it. It is truly a one of a kind restaurant.

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Worth every penny!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Last Saturday evening my best friend and I had one of the most incredible meals of our lives celebrating our 30th birthdays at Le Bernardin! Obviously for most people this is a splurge meal, but if you have the means to go here and the patience for a reservation then definitely go for a special occasion on when you're in the mood to spend some serious $$! Aside from the food being outstanding, the restaurant was beautiful and surprisingly modern (I expected classic French decor). Also, the service was first class -- we were very well taken care of by the highly professional, well-trained staff.

We did the 4 course menu as it had everything we wanted on it. We each tried something different for all 4 courses and then we split everything. Sometimes it was really difficult giving up the second half of my plate when I was really enjoying the dish! Standouts were the tuna tar tar on a cracker with foie gras, the crab bouillabaisse, striped bass tartar and both of our favorite dish -- the incredible langoustine with truffles in a balsamic vinaigrette sauce (so, so good!). Even though we favored some items I can honestly say that every bite was a dream. I guess I should have expected incredible sauces on everything considering it's a French restaurant, but we were really blown away by all of the exotic and diverse flavors. As for dessert, the chocolate torte I had was good and my friend's ice cream sampler was very tasty. The coffee ice cream was out of this world! Oh, and I MUST talk about the bread. We ate an embarrassing amount of bread, but only because every type we were given was AMAZING! Pretzel rolls, seasoned panini bread, sourdough baguettes, and these amazing sundried tomato rolls...wow wow wow!
Expect to pay $350+ per couple (even without alcohol), but I really can not stress enough that this is a great experience to have if you love fine dining and incredible food. I really hope I can make it back here some day! Bon appetit fellow foodies!