“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Bernardin

Le Bernardin
155 W 51st St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
212 554 1515
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Bernardin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 11,750 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Southwestern, French, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
George Town, Grand Cayman
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Fantastic food and service. We asked for wine pairings with our meal which were all lovely but for me too many white wines. I realise we ate fish but with hindsight I should probably have requested at least one red as its my preference. I'll know the next time!

Visited July 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Overall, Ripert's forays into Asian flavors/ingredients made for the strongest successes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

For me, Le Bernardin had more soul than the show at Alinea, but the soul was less heart on sleeve than French Laundry and less cerebral than Meadowood. I guess it's that quiet kid in class that turns out to be surprisingly smart and worldly when they actually speak up.

I sweated a bit, but reservations, reservation confirmation, and will-jacket-with-dark-jeans-pass-muster? all went without a hitch. I loved my swivelly chair in the posh yet lively room and the little stool for my purse. Service was faultless, but as a Californian, I found it a bit starchy. So to counter it, I made myself comfortable by laughing out loud.

As for the Le Bernardin Tasting Menu:
- Loved the salmon rillette with croutony toast, striped bass with red rice and green papaya salad, and barely cooked scallop. The latter two had the composition, texture, and flavor to personify perfection in simplicity.
- Liked the lobster with sea bean and mango salad (but French Laundry's buttery lobster mitts still haunt me), monkfish with tarragon scented pea puree and morels, dark chocolate parfait, and the mango foam of the mango-black sesame intermezzo.
- Kinda undazzled by the thinly pounded yellowfin tuna (I guess it was hard to follow the strong opening act of the salmon rillette...best adult version of lox EVER).

Overall, Ripert's forays into Asian flavors/ingredients made for the strongest successes. The recurring motif of chives, on the other hand, was pretty puzzling. As an extrovert myself, I was waiting for an exclamation, a Eureka!, or maybe just a peal of laughter in the food. But I guess some people aren't wired like that. However, they do sweetly wish you a happy anniversary in the form of a bonus dessert. That works, too.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ann Arbor
“At the bar...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I didn't plan ahead for a dinner at Le Bernardin, but I came to the bar for a leisurely drink and a snack at dinnertime. It was fairly empty on a Thursday evening, so it was quiet and very pleasant. The bar staff were friendly but not hovering, and quite knowledgeable about the product. I had the salmon rillette which was delicious- fresh and light and not the least bit "fishy."

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Superb Food and Service if not a little boring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

There is no question as to why this restaurant is one of the best in the world - the seafood is some of the freshest and superbly cooked anywhere - the service is impeccable - the dining room is elegant - but I found the experience to be a bit boring - it lacked a bit of wow factor you find at Eleven Madison Park, Noma and Dinner - it's a semi ridiculous complaint I know.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Richland Hills, Texas
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I had eaten here about 20 years ago for our anniversary. We wanted to eat here again on our anniversary trip to New York. You can make reservations only one month in advance. I called on the first available day I could. We were there on a Friday. The cost does not deter people. It was packed. The food was very good. Service was impeccable. It is a set cost and menu. It is a 4 course meal and you choose one from each category. It turned out to be a little more expensive than we planned. The bill was around $350..and that was without wine. Would probably not do it again for that reason. There are lots of amazing restaurants in New York. You could do dinner and a broadway show for that.

• Visited July 2013