“Good beer, not very good service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Loreley

Loreley
7 Rivington Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)
(212) 253-7077
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: East Village
Chico, California
“Good beer, not very good service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The beer is good at this place, but we did not care for the food and the server was rude. When the meals arrived at our table, one of the meals was incorrect. The waiter was a bit angry about this -- like we should have just taken it. The rest of the group was about finished eating and the meal still had not arrived. We asked the waiter and he just started laughing about it with another co-worker. NOT GOOD. The meal finally arrived, but this event left a bad taste in our mouth.

Visited December 2012

78% Recommend
london
“Lovely service, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We ducked in here for 'just a quick drink' after dinner on our way back to our hotel next door. Three hours later.....
We didn't eat here, but the menu looked interesting. Our varied beverage tastes (beer/wine/spirits) were all catered for. The bar staff were charming and great fun, and the bar tab made us question whether we were actually in NYC (i.e. very reasonable). It wasn't playing obnoxiously loud music, so the noise was just convivial chatter. A nice spot.

Visited January 2013
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
“Great Schnitzels Great Beer Great People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Fresh food all my friends eat meat and were very happy, I'm a vegetarian and was able to find yummy red kraut, potato pancakes and cucumber salad... the beer is fantastic and the ambiance is great. We love this place!

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jersey
“Great German place by the New Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stumbled upon Lorely while heading to the New Museum. After walking around the city, we needed refreshment. Found the Loreley, had a few beers before heading to the museum. Good selection of German beers, and the menu looked great, although we didn't try the food. The back outdoor patio was packed, and we sat at the bar in front, having the place to ourselves. We thought about returning after having gone to the New Museum around the corner, but found the place packed at that time. Good beer and friendly staff, but busy at certain times. Would recommend to anyone looking for authentic German beer and food.

Visited April 2012
New Jersey
“Good German food on Manhattan's Lower East Side.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

German restaurants in Manhattan are a rarity so I was particularly interested in trying this one, even though it was a little bit "off the beaten path" for me. The Loreley claims to be one of few German restaurants here that caters to the "under-fifty crowd". I presume this is to more clearly differentiate itself from some of the last remaining "original" German restaurants in the Yorkville section of Manhattan, around 86th Street. Those restaurants, many of which have closed their doors in recent years, met the culinary needs of German-speaking Manhattanites for many decades.

The Loreley is a simple, attractive, contemporary restaurant. It features brick walls and has little or no decoration of any sort. I think the restaurant might benefit from some visual embellishment on the interior walls, perhaps contemporary photos of Germany ... at least something. Otherwise it's just too "neutral" for me and, after all, it's German not Swiss! There is a bar area in the front, seating in the front and back, and a small outdoor garden area with tables beyond that which fufills the "Biergarten" portion of the description.

I headed over here for a quick lunch while running about town on business. I was the first person in the restaurant, for an early lunch. I tried the Weisswurst platter and a potato pancake. The Weisswurst was served traditional style and with sweet mustard. The potato pancake or Kartoffelpuffer (just one) was served with applesauce on the side. Both were good, although I would probably try the currywurst or one of their more elaborate meals such as a Wiener Schnitzel on a return visit. The single potato pancake was very good, although a bit pricey, I thought, at $4.00.

The service (just one person during this early lunch time frame) was easygoing and friendly. There was some music coming from the font of the restaurant, although in the back, where I was seated, I could only hear the radio from (I presume) the kitchen. It was tuned to a Spanish-language station.

The small outdoor garden in the back was sunny and pleasant during my visit, although still a bit chilly on a windy March day. I think this could be a fun place to visit with friends.

• Visited March 2012