“Good food in a low key setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Il Fornaio - CLOSED

Il Fornaio
132 Mulberry St Ste A, New York City, NY 10013-5551 (Little Italy)
(212) 226-8306
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Little Italy
NYC
“Good food in a low key setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Il Fornaio felt like home (in a good way). There's nothing fancy about this Little Italy eatery but the food makes up for the lack of decor. I had a house glass of wine (Pinot Grigio) and they literally fill the wine glasses to the top...my kind of place! We shared eggplant rollatini to start with and it was quite good. It was not the best I ever had, but good. I had penne vodka (I know, I'm a boring Italian). The penne vodka was definitely one of the best I've ever had, if not THE best. My fiance had one of the specials. It was a veal chop with mushrooms. It looked delicious but I don't eat veal so I didn't taste it. I'll just take his word. He said it was delicious. The bill came out to about $75 and that was for 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, 1 eggplant rollatini, 1 penne vodka and 1 veal chop special. I thought the price was good. They were also playing Frank Sinatra and Frankie Valli, so that made me love the restaurant even more! This is definitely a little hidden gem of Little Italy.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Grayson, Ga.
“What a deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

After a long day with a lot of walking my daughter and I decided to eat lunch/dinner in Little Italy. Everything in New York seemed pretty costly until we found this place. We walked up and down the same street looking at the menu. I wanted an antipasto with salad and lots of meat. I never found what I was looking for but we found this restaurant and they had a set lunch menu for $12. It was 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Nelson the waiter told us that they served lunch until 5. We had a dinner date at 6:30 but were very hungry. I asked if we could split a meal and he said of course. We ordered chicken I think and I remember it was delicious. It came with fantastic bread and salad. What a great meal at a steal of a price. I highly recommend IL Fornaio. The service wasn't slow to me. It wasn't fast either until I told him that we had to leave. I think if you said you were in a hurry you would get your food faster.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Caracas, Venezuela
“So much food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

It's a typical Little Italy Restaurant, with a very strange decoration and great food. The service is not the fastest, but that's ok because you want to sit down and enjoy, have a nice conversation, and then some great food. Be careful with what you order, because the plates are very big, and you may not be able to eat everything.

Visited November 2011
Garner, North Carolina
“Exceptional value in little italy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Took my family of 6. Great service, good value. Every person raved about their dish. It is not the fanciest but we went to eat and totally enjoyed it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, CA
“May be best pizza in New York!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Go for lunch and get their cheese pizza (they don't serve pizza for dinner). If not THE best in New York, it is in the top 5! Also, Broccoli diRabe is great.

• Visited August 2011