“Great food, a little pricey.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zutto

Zutto
77 Hudson St, New York City, NY 10013-2866 (Manhattan)
(212) 233-3287
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zutto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,516 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Harrison
Transit: 1 to Franklin 1,2,3 to Chambers A,C,E to Canal
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food, a little pricey.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was there Saturday night, at 7:45, table for 2.

Drinks:

- I ordered a Yuzu Margarita ($14)and it was really delicate yet flavorful, not too sweet, with a little zesty aftertaste. Delicious.
- I had a nice surprise when I checked-in with Yelp: a complementary Asahi beer!

Food:

Neither my wife nor I are huge fan of Rama, so we decided to go tapa style and order a number of appetizers to share. We had:

- Manila Clams Garlic ($12): Nice and light clams in a thin delicate broth, served with two crostini made out of perfectly toasted slices of baguette

- Gyozas: Nice and crispy on the outside and moist and tasty on the inside.

- Kobe Beef Steamed Buns ($12): The Japanese take on the american classic mini hamburger, with a Japanese steamed bun and a juicy delicious Kobe mini patty

- Short Ribs Steamed Buns ($10): Another Japanese revision (Zutto is a Japanese American pub, after all!) of another classic american dish: BBQ short ribs. Here, again, wrapped in the usual Japanese steamed bun. The ribs tasted really good too, with a perfect moist, tender texture and flavorful taste.

- Short Ribs Steamed Buns ($10): This is not a typo. I liked them so much the first time that I had another order of these.

- Dessert: The dessert was really good too, although I don't quite remember the name. It was served with a delicious green tea ice cream and, the combination of flavors was balanced and not too sweet.

Service:

At the beginning the place was half empty and everything was fine and smooth.
When it got crowded the service started to be a little spotty. That may be due to the fact that we ordered our food in three separate rounds, or to the fact that they were not well organized in the kitchen, I believe.
The big disappointment came when it was time to order our dessert and the waitress told me ti would take 30 minutes because the kitchen was busy.
Fortunately, the manager caught me while I was complaining about that and 5 minutes late dessert was served.

Ambiance:

The restaurant is spacious and has a feeling of an outdoor market, with an unpolished big hardwood table and benches in the middle of the room and paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I definitely like the style.

Overall, I recommend this place, even though the service was not perfect and the food a little pricey.

Visited September 2012

Cape Cod, MA
“Gem in TriBeCa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

After drinks at nearby Terroir, we went wandering in search of dinner. Didn't have to go far to find this gem that fulfilled our group's cravings. Drinks, sushi, Kobe steamed buns, ramen... The great food, fun atmosphere, terrific service means we will be back soon!

Los Angeles, California
“LOVED IT! Great Baos and Ramen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

What a great experience, a great atmosphere, super good service, our waitress was very accomodating and stirred us in the right direction. Our Porkbelly Bao (Buns) were great, just the right amounts of sauces and flavors. The Ramen is awesome, great strong flavor and good portions, not big portions though. The tempurara mochi dessert was really, really good, awesome flavors and textures.

• Visited June 2012
Loxstedt, Germany
“Cosy place with superb Japanese/American fusion food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The interior is very american and it's a large but cosy place in the heart of TriBeCa. The staff is very friendly and we instantly got a table when we came there in the evening.
We had the delicious Chuuka Manjuu (Steamed Buns) and some addictive Shishito Peppers as a starter and then both went for a Ramen which was the best we could do after an exhausting intercontinental flight. Both Ramen (Wasabi Shoyu Ramen and Spicy Miso Ramen) have been terrific.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“amazing food, but expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

we came unprepared for what was awaiting inside:
every mouthful was a delight.
the chef was kind and very humble.
We sat at the bar and were watching the food being prepared with the utmost curiousity and impatient as children.
the price is more than I expected but it's well worth it.
Thank you for the adress!

• Visited April 2012