“Vegetarian goodness” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Angelica Kitchen

Angelica Kitchen
300 E 12th St, New York City, NY 10003-7201 (East Village)
212-228-2909
Neighborhood: East Village
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Vegetarian goodness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Very friendly service here! There are a lot of good options on the menu. I went with a combo bowl, which enabled me to customize my food by picking all the items I wanted to go into it. Great choice - it was so tasty! I also recommend the mashed potatoes (the brown rice gravy is stellar).
Really the only reason I gave it 4 out of 5 instead of 5 out of 5 is that it's a BYOB establishment. Though that ended up working out well for us at this particular meal, generally it's always good to have a reasonable selection of hooch on the menu. Overall, a wonderful place!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
1,525 reviews 1,525 reviews
1,001 restaurant reviews
“Very good (I think)....from a meat eater!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My Vegan daughter took me to this restaurant in the NYU area yesterday, and asked me to give it a try. I am not a Vegan. I am not a vegetarian. I am not an organic food person. When I eat dinner, I want part of a dead animal, fish or bird on my plate. With that said, here goes my review.

From the viewpoint of someone who eats only organic leaves and shoots, this place must be pretty good. Everyone looked happy munching on their leaves and shoots, and no one died while I was inside.

My daughter told me that the closest thing to "real food" (in my mind) would be the three-bean chili, which is what I ordered. It came out in a large bowl with a huge piece of organic Vegan cornbread. (Evidently it is OK in Veganism to kill an ear of corn.) The chili was pretty tasty, although there was no "meat substance" to it. It was beans and more beans, with a decent chili taste. It was pretty good for what it was, but I knew that I'd be hungry later.

For a beverage, I asked for a Diet Coke. The waitress looked at me in shock and said..."we do NOT serve carbonated beverages in this restaurant!" OK. So I ordered lemonade, which came out with a half-inch of pulp on top. It tasted kind of funky, as it was sweetened by some kind of leaves or other organic substance. OK.

The inside of those restaurant is nicely decorated, and the overall ambiance is very nice.

In summary, if I was with my daughter I would gladly return soon. If by myself, I'd probably rather take my shotgun and go kill something to stick on the broiler first.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado
“Very good even if you a not vegan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Lunch offered many unusual choices with helpful and fast service. The inconveniences of lack of any carbonated beverages or butter for bread did not detract from the experience. The salad of the day featured potatoes, pickles and other veggies in a tangy dressing. The tofu sandwich had much more flavor than is usually the case for tofu. Not cheap--entree salad, sandwich and two apple beverages were $32.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rehovot
“Good vegan resturant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Based on previous reviews I was expecting much more. I had kale salad, which had a long list of promising ingredients but was really too salty for my taste. My spouse had a better choice which included seitan and mushrooms and other ingredients. The desert containing raspberries was disappointing. Overall, not as expected.

Visited April 2013
Scotia, New York
“wish I could eat here every day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Have eaten here many times and it is consistently excellent. Favorites are the chili and the Angelica cornbread. There are many vegetarian options in this neighborhood, but I still find myself just wanting to go back over & over again to Angelica Kitchen. I've brought various carnivorous relatives & friends here, and all of them left full and satisfied. Friendly and efficient service. Love that the natural light floods in the full length windows. Will be back again soon!

• Visited March 2013