“lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lady Mendl's

Lady Mendl's
56 Irving Pl, New York City, NY 10003-2314 (Gramercy Park)
(212) 533-4466
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lady Mendl's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,599 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: Between 17th & 18th Streets, on the East side of Irving Place
Transit: Union Square Station. Upon exiting the station, walk to 17th street and make a right. We are one block to the East of Park Avenue South at 17th and Irving Place. Only a small plaque stating "Lady Mendl's" marks the entrance to our brownstone.
New York City, New York
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's like stepping back into another time in this beautiful townhouse. We had a five course afternoon tea with sandwiches (smoked salmon, cucumber with mind creme fraiche, egg salad, scones with clotted cream and preserves, Lady Mend's signature cake, assorted cookies and chocolates. The service and the room were wonderful. We sat on sofas next to a lovely burning fire. It could have not been more relaxing. The food was delicious and I am longing for another piece of the Lady Mendl cake. I had never heard of this place until a friend took me there. I will go again. For the record, Lady Mendl was the famous New York decorator Elsie de Wolfe. Reservations are required.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Pretty setting - but disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I went w a few friends, and the setting was very pretty so still could be a fun thing to do for a bridal or baby shower. However, small things like the bread on the finger sandwiches being stale (they clearly made all the sandwiches for the entire day in the morning) made it very not worthwhile given the price. Would recommend against it if all you want is nice tea and scones.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Howard Beach, New York
“FOOD POSIONING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

we recieved food posioning from the food here after there terrible service ...we never recieved all of our corses ...they ruined my daughters 19th birthday ..when we called up to say we got food poioning and we wanted a refun they said to bad

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Precious teatime.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

The atmosphere here is rarer than rare. A delightful 4pm tea with a choice of sandwiches and cakes - it felt like something out of Jane Austen.....

Visited September 2011
New York
“One for the ladies!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have actually been here twice and both times have been impressed by this cute little place on Irving. As an experience it is enjoyable on all levels; the environment, the food and the service. Lady Mendl's is a good place for an intimate tete a tete with your sister or close friend, perhaps a good location to take the mother in law to tea or host a small and beautiful baby or bridal shower. I have only ever been as part of a two so can't comment on their ability to host larger groups but I have seen larger groups in there for a shower/special celebration. They only do a set menu and two sittings per afternoon. Set menu is $35 each which is fairly reasonable for the experience. It does get a bit pricier by the time you add in tax and mandatory 20% tip though... was over $90.00 for two people. So definitely for a special occasion. The food by itself doesn't warrant that kind of price but I think that the experience overall is probably fair.

From the moment you walk up the steep steps to the entry you definitely feel that this is a special place. It is so calm and quiet inside that you hardly think you are in NY anymore, and as an English woman, it does make me feel at home somehow! The rooms are well-decked in the appropriate amounts of chintz, floral fabrics, cozy sofas and rose-scented candles. A note, it is a small space and in a brown-stone type building so don't go expecting a large scale operation. Probably there are 12 tables or so.

Service is calm and befitting to the place, everyone I came into contact with was helpful and accommodating (e.g. change table to a better one, second round of sandwiches etc). There are not huge amounts of staff so if you go on a week day when it is not full there may only be one waiter around serving everyone. This seems to work ok and I never felt like we had to wait overly long for any of the courses. Essentially the whole vibe is to relax and enjoy some calm anyway so you don't want to feel rushed.

The food is ok/good. They bring a small tart (amuse bouche size) to start. The last time I went it was squash and parmesan filling, was tasty. Sandwiches on both occasions I have been are egg salad, turkey & cranberry, smokes salmon, cucumber. You get to pick which ones you want. They are standard tiny tea service size but I ate 8 last time I went - was definitely full at the end. After the sandwiches are the scones and clotted cream. Definitely the best course by a way...warm scones, (plain and cranberry) were delicious and the raspberry jam and clotted cream were also good quality and a decent portion size.

Next comes the crepe layer cake filled with cream. Seriously heavy and rich but its nice. They also bring some chocolate covered strawberries & assorted biscuit/mini cake type things with this course. I think most people have these wrapped to go because by that time you are full!

Oh - I almost forgot, you have a fairly extensive choice of teas and they bring each person a nice large pot of it (at least 4 cups inside!).

In summary...

What I like:
- Ambience, calmness and service
- Perfect place for an intimate get together
- Scones
- Location (its a nice street, easy to get to)

Could do better:
- Would like some variety on the "cake" section of the proceedings....the layer cake thing is kind of specific and the smaller biscuits/cakes are tiny and not my idea of a classical cream tea!
- Mandatory 20% tip seems a bit heavy handed. Especially when it is only 2 people.

• Visited June 2012