“Contrasts” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nello's

Nello's
696 Madison Ave, New York City, NY 10065-7206 (Manhattan)
212-980-9099
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nello's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8,534 of 11,750 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 62nd and 63rd Street
Transit: By train: Take the N,Q,R to 5 Ave/59 St Station or the 4,5,6 to Lexington Ave/ 59 St Station.
Charleston, West Virginia
“Contrasts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Delightful atmosphere in a pleasant Madison Ave location. Very attentive staff, comfortable & great for people watching. Now the contrasts - while my pasta was excellent, it was terribly overpriced. My family had soups, they reported as average. Was never told about the charges for water, an obvious rip off as I now read. They went out of their way to accommodate my 6 yr old son's desire for chicken - yet it was also overpriced. Beautiful setting, some staff superb (Anastasia was great) but not worth the price.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Arabic first
“The one place to miss in New York”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

this is one of the restaurants which is adopting the fiscal cliff well in advance. Their prices are well over the quality they serve. In my case the Maitre D offered their specials of the day and one of the dishes was risotto with white truffles . I've ordered it. When asked for the bill I was shocked to find out they charged. Usd 190. The Maitre D did not even mentioned it when he indicated dishes. Which are not on the menus . When I complained I received discount of. 75 dlrs. .i find their attitude very arrogant. Further they keep serving mineral water every minute seems thy are pushing sales of water . The last point they add to the bill 20 pct tip as if its their right to charge it and not your option to express your appreciation . If one ask me there any other establishment in New York which will appreciate your visits

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“It is not the cost, but the quality . . .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

As a former chef and now, food blogger I have eaten at some extraordinary places around the world. Not doubt, quality food expertly prepared comes at a cost. This is especially true in Manhattan. But it is always the chef's vision that brings me back to any restaurant I have tried. I found that Nello has no clear vision that differentiates it from other restaurants of similiar cuisine. My expectations were high, but I was sadly disappointed. For example, my soup had a distinct metalic flavour. The soup had a touch of diary and as diary products sometime pick up the flavour of metal if cooked in the wrong pot, I thought that may have been what cause to unsavory taste. A friend who tasted the soup snidely suggested he could taste the can from whence the soup came. I have tasted rustic italian dishes that have risen to the level of haute cuisine. My main course pasta dish was mediocre, plain and uninspired. And I gest you not - I have had better desserts from road-side dinners. Nello is anything but the artful invention of food which I expected from a restaurant in this price point. I would not eat here again and I believe serious foodies would be sincerely underwhelmed.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Bill Shock Big Time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Beautiful location , a plate of crab ravioli each, 2 gin and tonics, one glass of wine , a salad shared, a coffee and a tea. $350 for two plus tip! The ravioli were specials and we were not given any prices on the specials. I would warn against getting caught.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Istanbul, Turkey
“Very noisy place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I liked the food very much but the atmopshere and the tables into each other was a negative aspect:( It was a noisy atmosphere with a strange type of music. I honestly thought that the music is needless there ! I had fish for my main course and it was a special that day so it tasted pretty good. As for the appetizers, we have had crab salad and lobsters, they were OK, not great but OK...
And another negative thing was it was soo expensive even though it's not a luxurious and elegant place.