“SCAM - charged $275 for a dish of todays special!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nello's

Nello's
696 Madison Ave, New York City, NY 10065-7206 (Manhattan)
212-980-9099
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nello's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8,309 of 11,596 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 62nd and 63rd Street
Transit: By train: Take the N,Q,R to 5 Ave/59 St Station or the 4,5,6 to Lexington Ave/ 59 St Station.
Oslo
“SCAM - charged $275 for a dish of todays special!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

You should stay away from this place at all cost.

We went there with out two kids (12 years old) The waiter presented the specials that included Tagliatelle with Truffle. Our kids wanted to taste Truffle, so we ordered that. The price of $275 was not mentioned by a single word.

We was highly surprised when we got the bill totaling $859 - we thought is was a mistake, which is was not. They charged 275 for a plate with pasta and a little truffle - this is not a rip off but in my opinion a fraud and scam. They even reminded me that in NY it was customary to pay 15-20% in additional tips. I.e. the total price for each plate was $275+8,8% tax + 15% tip = $344!!!

After an argument $250 was deducted from the bill. I regret that I was so put of by the episode that I did not think of calling the police to come. Please see attached scan of the bill for details

• 3 of 5 stars Food

16% Recommend
  • Arabic first
Dublin, Ireland
“never go here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I had lunch at nello's yesterday. Foolishly we chose the special; pasta with truffle shavings without asking the price. The food was ok but the bill for two plates of pasta , two white wines and a bottle of Pellegrino was $880 ! On one level it was totally my fault as I should have been more aware of what was going on reflection this is just place is just a scam.

Do not go there

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Bahrain
“Careful...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011 via mobile

I was walking with my wife on the thanksgiving day and we felt tired somwe sawnthis cafe around 5 pm so we decided to have a rest and a dinner as well... We entered and they served us some big bottle of water ... The atmospher is good but not wow... I saw they menu and notice the prices are little bit expensive around $40 per main course .. But we decided to go ahead because most of the restaurants are closed today... The thing that I did not like that the servant did not ask me if I want to drink anything .. But I asked if they have orange juice .. He said yes .. Then they brought out main without the orange juice .. I asked again he said they are running out of orange and sent someone to buy ... I was thirsty and I could change it to any other drinks if they had told me that earlier .. Anyhow I finished my meal and I kept drinking water ... Then they brought the orange juice .. I did not want to make a big deal of it so I got it it.. Was just a small glass of oj ... My wife is pregrent and she felt she wanted some dessert so we ordered two dessert only ... Then I asked for my bill ... I was shocked $200 for our meal .. This is the most expensive food I have ever had ... It was not bad but it does not worth that money ... They have cya Rhee me $12 for a small orange juice $ 15 for the bottle of water that I did not ask for ... They have but 20% tip by them self ... My main course coated us both of us 80% but all the rest are drinks and tips taxes and desserts ... I would not pay this amount of money in such a restaurant with not high class service ... Be aware !!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oshawa, Canada
“rip off with a side of pretentiousness”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

My husband and I and another couple stopped in here as we strolled down Madison Ave. Not realizing what we had come across, we were ushered into the packed restaurant by a very friendly doorman. Once inside our coats were taken (whether we wanted that or not) and offered a menu. The prices were astronomical.....as already stated in other reviews...$30 and up for pasta. The waitstaff while attentive were scurrying around like chickens with their heads cut off constantly bumping into each other and seated customers ...certainly not the place for a relaxing lunch! The pasta was okay but certainly not worth the price tag.....the champagne was lovely ...but it too was pricey as was the bottled water. In the end our bill was over $400 for 4 plates of pasta, 4 glasses of champagne, 2 bottles of water, and 4 desserts. The clientele were equally as pretentious as the menu. If you are looking for a relaxed cozy italian restaurant.....then this isnt the place for you.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“SUPER FRIENDLY STAFF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We were in a hurry for a quick espresso and something to eat before catching a plane and were waved in the door by a very congenial doorman. The host seated us immediately, our food came out quickly and was delicious and I would go back in a heartbeat. Yes, it was expensive, but nothing like the $440.00 facial I accidentally fell into at the Plaza Athenee. Now, THAT was a rip off.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere