“A gem of a diner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neil's Coffee Shop

Neil's Coffee Shop
961 Lexington Ave, New York City, NY 10021-5160 (Manhattan)
212-628-7474
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Manhattan
“A gem of a diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

When you walk in you feel like you have walked into the quintessential New York diner. I had the lumberjack waffle special and my wife had the feta and spinach omelet. Both were great. This is not an exaggeration, the chef prepared the best scrambled eggs I have ever had in my life, not kidding. Even after I tried the omelet I was happy I had the simple scrambled eggs. My waffle was light and delicious. The bacon was crisp and thick. The omelet had a great balance with feta and spinach and was perfect. They serve a side of potatoes that are cut nice and thick with onions and peppers.
Now for the atmosphere: I felt like I walked in to a scene from a classic New York movie. The server was nice and asked questions about our trip and where we were from. Now it was not crowded that morning which meant he had time to focus on us, but he was doing the same all across the diner. The regulars ordered with no menu and were also friendly and did not seem to mind all of our obvious bumbling over our bags and coats. (We did not even notice that all booths had coat hooks until we got up to leave.)
Do not miss this great local gem.

Berridale
“Saved us from the Snow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We chanced upon Neil's during a snowy afternoon in December and so glad we stopped in.

The staff were very friendly to two Australia girls having their first American style diner meal - we were asked for drinks first which came quickly.

My sister had the vege soup which was huge and due to the cold she had two bowls - it reminded her of the same soup mum makes.

I had a hamburger - should of asked for the deluxe but didnt know that a plain hamburger was just meat, sauce and pickle.......I did get coleslaw on the side - o well......

We had a great time here and would have eaten there again if we had of been at that part of Lexington on foot.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sao Paulo, SP
“Simple comfort food for travellers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Great stop for cheaper and a larger selection of hot plates. Local good but not worth eating there if you have a larger budget. Great place if you are visiting the expensive region and want a good, simple and quick bite.

I ate a Gyro Platter and it was quite good for $15 bucks or so.

Portland, Oregon
“Seriously Old School”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is one of the best accidental finds I've ever had in NYC. The food is fine, served quickly. But the point is the character of the place, the character of the owner and the guy behind the counter and the clientele. It took me back to a time before I was even born but I've seen it in movies. My friend and I gave ourselves away as tourists by using menus. Everyone else seemed to know what they wanted and how they wanted it "two pickles, no slaw".

I don't know why but you can't take photos inside but you can't because I tried. They are friendly and the price is right!

Visited December 2012
Home Counties
“Quintessential New York Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Perfect diner ambience, huge menu, quick service, good value, food average. I had a reuben which was microwaved not grilled but still tasted good. My husband's spinach pie was better, with flaky phyllo crust and piping hot spinach inside. Although we were there as tourists, we really liked the fact that everyone around us was clearly local e.g. a father with his young daughter, and a middle aged man arguing with the waiter and the waiter telling us sotto voce that this guy always does this. We would certainly go back.

• Visited November 2012