“Best Vegan Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
154 E 79th St, Frnt 3R, New York City, NY 10075-0423 (Upper East Side)
212-537-7179
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, Vegan
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Hong Kong, China
“Best Vegan Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We went there on 23 Dec, after we had been exhausted for having gone to Museum of Natural History and then a Christmas market for a whole day. We, a family of 3, ordered the artichoke special, tri-color beet salad, angel's nachos, wild mushroom risotto and one more (which I can recall). The portion was not little; as we were very tired, we at first worried we could not finish the foods, but did finish all of them ... as they were all delicious. And we ended up ordering deserts. The service was very friendly. We will go there again, when we visit NY next time.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Moscow, Russia
“Only for true vegans”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

No food for anyone else: they even have no milk or eggs. Definitely not other diet friendly. Wifi "candle79" is present in list, but servant kindly rejected my question for a password.

Ubud
“One of the best in the country.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Candle 79 was a delightful discovery on one of my many trips to New York. I have known of it for sometime but never had the opportunity to dine there until last November when a friend and I happened to be walking past it around lunch time. Being a vegetarian for many decades I always am delighted to find the right combination of dining ambiance, creative menu selections and most of all great food. Candle 79 more than meets these expectations and I will continue to make it a stop for future visits to New York. Its worth the trip to dine there!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not for non veg people”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

The rest. And the peole are very nice but the food is for hard core veg. I went with a veg and i couldnt eat the food. It taked the veg far away and i couldnt enjoy the food it was not for me.sorry.

New Jersey
“Excellent vegan dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I eat a vegan diet while my husband eats anything. This restaurant was a delicious treat for both of us! We shared the nacho appetizer and the grilled kale salad for starters. Both were delicious, but the nachos were a real treat! I ordered the pomegranate chipotle grilled tempeh which was outstanding. So many flavors on one plate. It would have been helpful to reread the description while eating my dinner so that I could remember all the different components that went into creating such great flavors. My husband had the chick pea cake which he enjoyed, but I didn't think was nearly as good as the tempeh. For dessert we shared the raw pear tart which was excellent! The beer and wine were expensive, but expected. The service was excellent, right on with water refills, timing of courses, etc. We had credit card issues when we went to pay (thank you Target!!!) and our server Kimberly was very discreet about that. We will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2013