“Fabulous vegetarian restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candle 79

Candle 79
154 E 79th St, Frnt 3R, New York City, NY 10075-0423 (Upper East Side)
212-537-7179
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Candle 79 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, Vegan
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Lexington and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, #79 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street, and #101 & #102 Bus to Lexington Avenue and 79th Street or 3rd Avenue and 79th Street.
Description: Candle 79 combines delicious organic vegan cuisine with gracious, knowledgeable service in a gorgeous duplex space. Lovingly crafted food fresh "from local farm to table." Intimate organic wine and eco-liquor cocktail bar. Favorite of East Side regulars and celebrities like Paul McCartney, Woody Harrelson, and Alicia Silverstone. The only vegan restaurant ever reviewed by former New York Times restaurant critic Frank Bruni, who wrote "Candle 79 showed me the light!" We offer an extensive Gluten Free Menu. Brunch available Saturday and Sunday. Take-out & catering available, no delivery.
Lexington, Kentucky
“Fabulous vegetarian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Excellent vegetarian dinner choices, beautiful presentation. We didn't have a reservation, but arrived early enough that we were able to get a table. The portion sizes were a little smaller than I was expecting, if you are very hungry, order an appetizer or two to share.

Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
“Nothing special, disappointed, bad service, overpriced ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

It pretend to be a top vegan restaurant in NYC and they promise up-scale experience. For me the interior looks cheap, old and shabby. The waiter was one of the rudest ones I have ever seen in NYC. The food was nothing so special - I have been to other vegan restaurants, unpretending to be upscale and number one - but with food not less tasty than in Candle 79 and with much more reasonable prices and better service. The vegetables in my entree were totally unsalted and tasteless. Sorry - but I don`t want to go there again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Enjoy Oustanding Flavor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was my first visit to Candle 79, on the upper east side. I have been to Manhattan a number of times and am always looking for good vegetarian/vegan restaurants. Candle 79 has an entirely vegan menu and the organic food is mostly grown locally and thus is seasonal and sustainable. The ambiance is nice, very similar to other NY eateries, with a bar running along one side of the main floor. There is an upstairs and I assume there is seating up there. We went early and sat on ground level, and the place filled up very quickly so that all of the seats were full by 6:15 on a Monday night. The bar stools were mostly taken too. Service was great and friendly, something not easy to find. We were a little earlier than the crowd, but it was nice that the waiter found plenty of time to discuss the options with us and even chat about things going on in NY. He was also helpful when we inquired about transportation. While waiting for our food, the chef sent out a small plate of sample salad to try. It was very good. When our plates arrived, I was surprised by the artistry of presentation. Everything was beautiful. The food was truly amazing. I am not a hugely creative cook, so do not know if I could recreate anything we had as the ingredient combinations were so unique. The flavor combinations were perfect. Very creative and carefully thought out. I am rarely really surprised by an item that I order, but all of our items surprised me here. I had the salad special which included quinoa and avacado, and crispy artichoke, along with other things I cannot recall now and it was truly delicious and unlike anything else I have ever had One of the people with me ordered the raviolis from the appetizer section and they were sensational. Another ordered a stuffed avacado, under the salads section of the menu. You have the choice of adding tofu or tempeh to the salad and he did. We all enjoyed our meals tremendously. It was a flavor experience not soon to be forgotten. Now, the down side, if there is one.....the portions are small. There is not much grain, and of course no dairy or anything that might be considered a little bit substantial, so we were all hungry within a couple of hours. A good way to head that problem off would be to start with an appetizer as the people sitting in the booth next to us did. They ordered the nachos which looked to be a fairly good size. Another thing to do to ensure you are satisfied is to add the tofu or tempeh. Overall, despite the smaller portions, this is a great place to go and I highly recommend it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A Vegan Fine Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently visited this vegan restaurant after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We were not disappointed.
The restaurant is very busy and booking looked to be essential.
The staff were very attentive and happy to explain the menu. All courses were excellent.
The menu is very interesting and you are likely to find something that you have not tried before.
A smart dining experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Slingerlands, New York
“Vegan heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Despite eating this way for years, I had never been to an upscale veg. restaurant like Candle. It is just wonderful to look at a menu, and know that you are able to choose anything that looks good.

The menu was inventive, and the food was great. We had a server who was actually a health coach, and she knew the menu inside and out. Asking for recommendations, meatballs and spaghetti were recommended, but sounded too ordinary. At het suggestion, though we got a side of the meatballs which were the best I have ever had, in wonderful sauce.

The menu is wonderfully inventive, with loads of seitan and tempeh dishes......we had Sietan in a lemon sauce, and the special which was seitan with pumpkin seeds. The beer is organic, as is the wine, and the two different beers that we had were great as well.

It is expensive, however this food is difficult to prepare, and the ingredients are not cheap. Even if you are not vegan, it deserves a try. They have another branch on the West Side which is more casual, with a different, less expensive menu.

• Visited February 2013