“a little piece of the mexican riviera in new york” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maz Mezcal Mexican Restaurant

Maz Mezcal Mexican Restaurant
316 E 86th St, New York City, NY 10028 (Manhattan)
212-472-1599
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Sacramento, California
“a little piece of the mexican riviera in new york”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We passed this place a couple of times before deciding to come here on a weeknight for dinner. Friday and Saturday nights, the line for a table was standing out the door. Maz has a reputation not only as a good restaurant but as an excellent bar as well. (Order a traditional margarita: might be the best I've ever had, with fresh lime and just the perfect touch of salt on the glass.) For dinner I ordered the fish tacos, which were fresh and light. I like my Mexican a little more spicy however, so I used a lot of guacamole and salsa, which came with the tacos. The salsa is on the fiery side---you can ask for a milder version if you don't like peppers and cilantro, but I'd suggest trying the original, as it is very good. My host ordered the mole poblano, chicken breast with mole sauce, which was savory with just a hint of chili flavor. I didn't try the chicken but my host said it was done to perfection, tender and cooked just right. My hostess, who wasn't very hungry that evening, ordered tacos from the "create your own combination" section. She said those were her favorite: they're actually the best bargain on the menu if you don't want to spend $12-18 for a dinner. All of the items in this section are under $10, and while you only get one item, the portions are large. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable; service was efficient but not too rushed. The atmosphere was relaxed: I don't know what it'd be like on a really busy night, but it was pleasantly quiet where we sat. There is a lovely patio area in the back if you enjoy eating outdoors, but on the night we were there it was raining. I'm not sure I would wait in line to eat here, given all the other great restaurants in the area, but I thought this would be a good place to relax after a busy day of sightseeing or shopping.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“One of the better Mexican places-UES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Very busy on most nights. Pleasent outdooer seating. Good food.

Visited May 2012
Erin_leigh79
“Very good Tex-Mex, Excellent Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My BF and I went last Saturday night after our favorite place on the upper east side was closed! So, we bascially came across Maz Mezcal as a backup plan, having no prior experience or reference of this place. It was the most crowded restaurant in the entire area at an early dinner hour of 6:30pm (by the time we left around 8pm there was a hug line!), which is usually a good sign. Now we know why it was so active. To start: Chips and salsas were very good. I had 2 frozen margaritas: the strawberry was very good, but the peach wasn't so great. Our food was the best part, though! I had the veggie combo with a cheese enchilada, guac tostada, and bean burrito. It was VERY good, authentic Tex-Mex...NOT to be confused with true Mexican food, which is NOTHING like Tex-Mex (Mexican is much lighter, not as greasy, much healthier with veggies, and not smothered in cheese). I'm a Houstonian and TexMex is a staple growing up, which is extremely hard to find up in the Tri-State area. However, this one did it. The refried beans were spot-on (anyone who knows TexMex knows this is a big deal) and cheese enchilada was perfect and tasted just like home! Another great surprise was my BFs chicken in Mole sauce dish: they brought out a little crock-pot with more food after he finished his plate, saying, "the rest in this dish is your meal, if you'd like more" almost like we were at someone's house eating with the family! Never seen that happen in my entire life, and he was quite happy about it (because he really enjoyed his meal, too). We are 10000% going back to Maz Mezcal! No, it's not reasonably-priced TexMex, but it's NYC, so whatever. For cheap TexMex I'll go back home to H-town...Oh, and I also have to comment that the service was some of the best I've seen in the city. I wish I could recall the female servers name, but honestly the entire staff was great! This place was slammed toward the end of the meal but they were keeping up with everyone and still smiling!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Mexican Place on the UES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a terrific Mexican Restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Friendly staff, great food and the ambience is really good. Reasonably priced. Nice bar area and outside tables.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
nyc
“A personal favorite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

In this city, what passes for Mexican food is often Cambell's pork 'n beans with tabasco sauce on top. Maz is a different creature. The food here is very good. High quality ingredients, well prepared, graciously served. I've never had a bad meal here, but I especially like their chicken fajitas, quesadillas, and enchiladas. Great Margaritas here, too.

• Visited January 2012