“They do NOT honor the prixe fixe menu” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Caravaggio Restaurant

Caravaggio Restaurant
23 East 74th St, New York City, NY 10021 (Upper East Side)
212-288-1004
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Caravaggio Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,484 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Madison Avenue
new jersey
“They do NOT honor the prixe fixe menu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

According to the website they have a prixe fixe on the weekends. When we arrived and received the menu there was no listing. The head waiter stated it is only for the summer. We explained that it was not stated as such on the website. He said it was not updated. AND there was a card for the restaurant in the men's room with the same information about the prixe fixe without mentioning the fact it was only applicable in the summer. We strongly felt they should have honored this because it was their error.

We stayed and the food was good but certainly not worth the exorbitant price. The soup for $18 was excellent but the linguine with pasta only good. I have had much better in other restaurants. My one friend had the consomme with veal which was bland.

We would in no way go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, USA
“Sophisticated spendor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our hotel recommended Caravaggio which was a short walk for us. The restaurant was hidden off the corner of Madison Ave. I had passed the corner at least a dozen times of the course of several stays in this neighborhood and never noticed.

The bar area was small but cozy We sat for a few drinks prior to dinner and met a few regulars who were quite entertaining. This is not a large space but a comfortable size and space. We were not aware when our reservation was made but men must wear jackets and ladies should be well dressed. Though my gentleman friend did not have a jacket we were still welcome.

Service was impecable. They even offered gluten free pasta for the pasta course because of a food allergy. This really stood out to me that this restaurant wanted to fulfull every need. Our muscle appetizer was delicious. The pasta sauce devine. I had a scallop dish that was delicious, my other half had a pork dish. I think we both agreed that we liked my dish best. Topped off with wonderful wine and service. It was a lovely experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Caravaggio has the largest daily specials ever. It was a like another menu, it amazing how the waiters remember it all. The food was very good, we had a large table of 6 people and we ordered a large variety. Everyone was very happy with their dish, especially the seafood dishes. (clams and fish were exceptional). And if any like truffles, the pasta with truffles was perfect.

The restaurant in September was freezing, they had the A/C blowing on our heads, this made the dinning experience a bit uncomfortable.

Visited September 2012
Brampton, Canada
“No thank you!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was very excited to visit this restaurant after reading the great reviews. It seemed like a great place to celebrate our anniversary. We did not, however, have the opportunity to enjoy a meal here. My husband and I arrived at the restaurant and were waiting for our table when a well dressed black foursome arrived at the restaurant. They were told that they would not be welcome in the restaurant due to "improper footwear" and that it didn't meet the dresscode (there is no dress code alluded to on the website). The restaurant representative had not even looked at our manner of dress or footwear.
I was appalled at this blatant racism in an upscale restaurant and was shocked that I was actually seeing this. The foursome pointed out my husband's footwear at which time the restaurant representative also told us that we wouldn't be able to dine there. An unnecessary message as there was no way that I would be giving any money to an establishment that chooses it's customers by race. Completely inappropriate and downright disgusting.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Quebec
“Best italian food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you are looking for a good dinner in the Upper East Side, I really recommend this restaurant. The decor is really romantic and the food is divine. There is a great choice of wine too.

Visited February 2012