“My all time favourite in NYC!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sushi of Gari

Sushi of Gari
402 E 78th St, New York City, NY 10075 (Manhattan)
(212) 517-5340
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi of Gari is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #675 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: B/W 1st Ave. & York Ave.
Transit: Subway #6 train @ 77th Street
Description: Welcome to Sushi of Gari! This restaurant is the original restaurant specializing in the wonderful taste of Gari Signature Sushi by Masatoshi GARI Sugio. This restaurant is rather a small establishment, but we offer an amazing Sushi as well as many traditional Japanese dishes. In addition to many very fresh authentic Japanese Sushi, let us surprise you by Gari's originality: some area slightly cooked, or marinated, and served with a variety of home-made sauces or other delicacies which enhance the daily market�fs freshest seafood, many of which are from Japan especially for Sushi of Gari.
Toronto, Canada
“My all time favourite in NYC!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I travel to NYC every year and I come to this restaurant every time. I order their Omakase (tasting menu) and they never fail to amaze me. Even the sushi rice tastes deliciouse!! You don't need soya sauce with the sushi because every piece comes with toppings which absolutely complement the fish. Very creative and innovative!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
Malaga
“A different type of sushi, but be careful...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Sushi of Gari at the Upper East Side of New York is an excellent sushi restaurant (although expect really high prices). The type of sushi that they offer is completely different (in a good sense) of sushi. Nevertheless, be very careful. It seems that the owners of the restaurant have decided to make profits from the reputation of the restaurant at the Upper East Side, and they have opened branches at other locations throughout New York. My wife and I went yesterday to the branch in Tribeca. The menu (and the high prices) are exactly the same than those at the Upper East Side, but sushi is disgusting.

Visited August 2013
Menlo Park
“Absolute best sashimi!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have eaten sushi/sashimi in many places around the US, Mexico, and Europe. This is the best! We only had sashimi, as after the first two dishes we decided we didn't want to waste space with rice. each dish that was presented was either "WOW" or "OH MY GOD". Our friends who have been here MANY times, kept telling us about this place they go that has the best sushi and they were correct. Aside from the individual tastes of each dish derived from a combination of the fish and delicate seasonings, the presentation was beautiful. I don't consider myself a gourmet, but I do know what I like and what is good. This was superb!!! If you go, let the chef bring you his specials...just tell him what you DON'T like prior to eating and let him surprise you. You won't be disappointed. Be advised: Gari's is NOT CHEAP, but not, in my view, overpriced.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangkok, Thailand
“Sushi from another world!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Everything here from the food, the service, to the ambiance is outstanding. I called to make a reservation and was told the tables were full yet the phone lady tried every possible way to find one for us, and she did. We ordered the tasting menu, which was just so divine everyone at my table had to make it a second round. My mother, who doesn't usually like sushi, finished every single drop of the sauce and every bit of the fish. I have eaten at many sushi places around town and could arguably say that garino sushi has one of the freshest, top quality fish!! They were so divine I felt like I've lived my life. We also ordered the soft- shell crab, which were perfectly fried just to the right crispiness and served with the delicious ponzu sauce. I love you garino sushi!!!! I'll see you again for sure when NYC calls!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is my all time favorite. Every time I fly into NYC first dinner is always here. However: You NEEd to sit at the bar, NOT the tables (its just not the same at the tables), order the sushi that they chef prepares, tell them what you don't eat/like and enjoy! They give you one piece at a time, each piece is a little recipe that makes you smile and want to clap....its absolutely amazing! Careful with the Sake as it get get pricey and also: The bill is random....not sure if it depends on the time spent there or what, but I always pay it with a big smile....Just amazing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere