“A Pleasant find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Vela

La Vela
373 Amsterdam Ave, New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)
(212) 877-7818
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Tibenham, Norwich
“A Pleasant find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was our third day in the USA and we were feeling buffeted by the high prices and the lack of decent food. This quiet Italian restaurant gave us some respite. A good selection of food, well prepared and presented. The service was good even though the place got busier as Friday slowly went past.

• Visited October 2013

New York City, New York
“Mediocre Italian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

It's not bad, but it's not especially good either, give it 2 1/2 stars to split the difference I guess. it's really not much different than the tourist traps in Little Italy in terms of creativity or authenticity. The prices are a little inflated for what it is but it's an expensive neighborhood so that's hardly surprising. The bottom line here is that I wouldn't bother recommending this place to anyone because there are dozens of better options within a couple blocks of this place (Italian places included) so if it were me, I would save my money and choose a better option.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A Lucky Find !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our party of seven were looking for a suitable restaurant on Amsterdam Ave, we checked out various places but as it was a Saturday they were all full or long waiting times then we found La Vela. They set up a table for us all on an elevated section in the restaurant, it was great to have this area all to ourselves as this was a special family meal. The choice of food was very good, everyone in out party eat their fill and enjoyed every mouthfull and I can highly recommend the T bone steak. Service was very good and we rounded of a perfect evening with some good wine.

• Visited April 2013
Belgium
“nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I ended up in this restaurant because all the others in the neighborhood where full. Usually this is a bad sign. But I do not regret eating here. I had a vegetarian starter (grilled Mediterranean vegetables) – it took some time but it was very nice. Veal escalope as main, again very nice and tasty. Service was quick but a little unprofessional.

• Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“If this is considered good ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food here is nothing more than edible. The prices are not cheap for the mediocre food that they are serving. When I asked my waiter if they had Sangria, he snickered and responded "no." Not too sure what the joke was... if it was because Sangria is not an Italian beverage, I never knew that Appletinis were!
I came to this restaurant with my children and believe me, it was very obvious, from the start, that children were not welcome here. They don't even have a children's menu or provide children's size portions.
When people speak of the great food in New York, they are not talking about this place!!

• Visited March 2013