“Good food in restaurant filled with smoke and good music!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Republic

Republic
37 Union Sq W, New York City, NY 10003-3217 (Manhattan)
(212) 627-7172
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,281 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese, Noodle Shop
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
east coast
“Good food in restaurant filled with smoke and good music!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Tasty dishes in very energetic space, seated immediately, service was excellent, great music, maybe a DJ but didn't see one. everything we ordered was good. Steamed Veg dumplings were really good. One bad, which was big, apparently, their exhaust vents stopped working, so the whole place filled with smoke, and they opened the front doors to clear the air but it was about 91 degrees outside, so it got a lot warmer inside. Would give the place another shot based on food and service.

65% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Add a star if you like noodles ( and Thai) delete one if you don't.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had yummy Pad Thai. It was good. Nothing to write home or Trip Advisor about, but it was good. They were unable to substitute Tofu into my order. Or any order apparently. The basil lime beverage was a fresh new taste. Others at our table had the soup dumplings ( which were small but tasty) and the salmon. Big place right in Union Square. We didn't have trouble getting a table for four on a Sunday afternoon on Memorial Day. Loud 80's music was playing. I liked it but it was hard to talk and hear.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent food & reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Whenever I visit New York, I always come and eat at this restaurant. Food is really tasty, fried rice and grilled pork chop over rice are my favorite. My hubby got the spicy beef noodles and he loved it! The coconut pineapple drink was equally great! Service was excellent. My only issue with this place is that it is incredibly loud! Not sure why its management has not resolved it, but I'm sure some customers have complained. I cannot even have a conversation with my hubby. It is not the music that's loud, but people talking, since it is usually crowded.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Noodles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I remember when this restaurant first opened in 1996 - the menu has stayed the same for 15+ years, but it is still fast, fresh, and affordable (by NYC standards.)

My go-to is the Wheat Noodle Salad. Very good flavor combinations with peanut and mint, but the star are the noodles. Chewy, but tender.

Had a lychee martini, and it was refreshing with chewy bits of fruit. Sat at the bar, and had my food in front of me 5 minutes after ordering it.

My only complaint is the loud atmosphere. It can be a deafening din when it fills up. Has always been a problem.

I have taken countless visitors to Republic, back when I lived near NYU. All have enjoyed it.

Visited April 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Incredible tastes, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My partner and I ate here for a quick lunch, and so pleased we did.

First of all the service was outstanding, very friendly, very efficient.

Secondly, the food was amazing -A great selection and would seriously recommend the noodle bowls.

Ideal for lunch, with a good drinks selection and a simple, but very nice menu.

• Visited April 2013