“Add a star if you like noodles ( and Thai) delete one if you don't.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Republic

Republic
37 Union Sq W, New York City, NY 10003-3217 (Flatiron District)
+1 212-627-7172
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #790 of 11,287 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Noodle Shop, Noodle, Asian, Thai, Pub, Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Description: Republic offers up a unique fusion of Asian cuisines using the freshest ingredients, the most savory spices, and creativity! Think noodles, think Republic! We focus on serving you healthy, nutritious, and affordable dishes that you won't soon forget. Our team believes in natural foods and the freshest, highest quality ingredients. Whether you're enjoying our Curry Vegetable broth noodles, our Grilled Chicken with Pesto and rice, or our take on the Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches, you can be sure that you'll enjoy an incredible dish made with only the best vegetables, noodles, and spices available. We even invite you to watch Republic chefs prepare your food in our open kitchen! They'll be using cooking methods from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan, and China to prepare you a delicious dish. And what would a great meal be without the perfect beverage to drink alongside it? Pair your meal with sake, beer, wine, or even one of our seasonal signature cocktails! Whether you're joining us for lunch, dinner, or drinks, you'll love our innovative and inexpensive Asian fusion at Republic!
New York City, New York
“Add a star if you like noodles ( and Thai) delete one if you don't.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had yummy Pad Thai. It was good. Nothing to write home or Trip Advisor about, but it was good. They were unable to substitute Tofu into my order. Or any order apparently. The basil lime beverage was a fresh new taste. Others at our table had the soup dumplings ( which were small but tasty) and the salmon. Big place right in Union Square. We didn't have trouble getting a table for four on a Sunday afternoon on Memorial Day. Loud 80's music was playing. I liked it but it was hard to talk and hear.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Excellent food & reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Whenever I visit New York, I always come and eat at this restaurant. Food is really tasty, fried rice and grilled pork chop over rice are my favorite. My hubby got the spicy beef noodles and he loved it! The coconut pineapple drink was equally great! Service was excellent. My only issue with this place is that it is incredibly loud! Not sure why its management has not resolved it, but I'm sure some customers have complained. I cannot even have a conversation with my hubby. It is not the music that's loud, but people talking, since it is usually crowded.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Noodles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I remember when this restaurant first opened in 1996 - the menu has stayed the same for 15+ years, but it is still fast, fresh, and affordable (by NYC standards.)

My go-to is the Wheat Noodle Salad. Very good flavor combinations with peanut and mint, but the star are the noodles. Chewy, but tender.

Had a lychee martini, and it was refreshing with chewy bits of fruit. Sat at the bar, and had my food in front of me 5 minutes after ordering it.

My only complaint is the loud atmosphere. It can be a deafening din when it fills up. Has always been a problem.

I have taken countless visitors to Republic, back when I lived near NYU. All have enjoyed it.

Visited April 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Incredible tastes, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My partner and I ate here for a quick lunch, and so pleased we did.

First of all the service was outstanding, very friendly, very efficient.

Secondly, the food was amazing -A great selection and would seriously recommend the noodle bowls.

Ideal for lunch, with a good drinks selection and a simple, but very nice menu.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Great noodles - very hot restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love this place in the midst of the Union Square madness - although it's not quiet (quite loud acoustics for the restaurant chatter), it still feels like an escape from the thonging sidewalks. The service is very efficient, and the noodle dishes are great value, flavourful and seem to be good quality ingredients. I had spicy beef broth with wholewheat noodles - the meat was very tender and plenty of it. My boyfriend also had a broth dish - the Vietnamese chicken and he thoroughly enjoyed it, albeit he "customised" it quite heavily with more hot sauce (but that's just his preference). Our only complaint on this visit was how hot the restaurant was - absolutely baking hot, even after we'd shed as many layers of clothing as possible - it's never been like that before when we've visited, so I'm guessing it was a temporary glitch. A very enjoyable place to go for lunch or a casual dinner - close to lots of shops and the Regal cinema.

Visited April 2013