“Excellent food & reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Republic

37 Union Sq W, New York City, NY 10003-3217 (Flatiron District)
+1 212-627-7172
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,100 of 11,650 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Noodle, Asian, Thai, Pub, Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Description: Republic offers up a unique fusion of Asian cuisines using the freshest ingredients, the most savory spices, and creativity! Think noodles, think Republic! We focus on serving you healthy, nutritious, and affordable dishes that you won't soon forget. Our team believes in natural foods and the freshest, highest quality ingredients. Whether you're enjoying our Curry Vegetable broth noodles, our Grilled Chicken with Pesto and rice, or our take on the Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches, you can be sure that you'll enjoy an incredible dish made with only the best vegetables, noodles, and spices available. We even invite you to watch Republic chefs prepare your food in our open kitchen! They'll be using cooking methods from Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan, and China to prepare you a delicious dish. And what would a great meal be without the perfect beverage to drink alongside it? Pair your meal with sake, beer, wine, or even one of our seasonal signature cocktails! Whether you're joining us for lunch, dinner, or drinks, you'll love our innovative and inexpensive Asian fusion at Republic!
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent food & reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Whenever I visit New York, I always come and eat at this restaurant. Food is really tasty, fried rice and grilled pork chop over rice are my favorite. My hubby got the spicy beef noodles and he loved it! The coconut pineapple drink was equally great! Service was excellent. My only issue with this place is that it is incredibly loud! Not sure why its management has not resolved it, but I'm sure some customers have complained. I cannot even have a conversation with my hubby. It is not the music that's loud, but people talking, since it is usually crowded.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
1 Thank TerrieClemente

• Korean first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I remember when this restaurant first opened in 1996 - the menu has stayed the same for 15+ years, but it is still fast, fresh, and affordable (by NYC standards.)

My go-to is the Wheat Noodle Salad. Very good flavor combinations with peanut and mint, but the star are the noodles. Chewy, but tender.

Had a lychee martini, and it was refreshing with chewy bits of fruit. Sat at the bar, and had my food in front of me 5 minutes after ordering it.

My only complaint is the loud atmosphere. It can be a deafening din when it fills up. Has always been a problem.

I have taken countless visitors to Republic, back when I lived near NYU. All have enjoyed it.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Incredible tastes, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My partner and I ate here for a quick lunch, and so pleased we did.

First of all the service was outstanding, very friendly, very efficient.

Secondly, the food was amazing -A great selection and would seriously recommend the noodle bowls.

Ideal for lunch, with a good drinks selection and a simple, but very nice menu.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Great noodles - very hot restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love this place in the midst of the Union Square madness - although it's not quiet (quite loud acoustics for the restaurant chatter), it still feels like an escape from the thonging sidewalks. The service is very efficient, and the noodle dishes are great value, flavourful and seem to be good quality ingredients. I had spicy beef broth with wholewheat noodles - the meat was very tender and plenty of it. My boyfriend also had a broth dish - the Vietnamese chicken and he thoroughly enjoyed it, albeit he "customised" it quite heavily with more hot sauce (but that's just his preference). Our only complaint on this visit was how hot the restaurant was - absolutely baking hot, even after we'd shed as many layers of clothing as possible - it's never been like that before when we've visited, so I'm guessing it was a temporary glitch. A very enjoyable place to go for lunch or a casual dinner - close to lots of shops and the Regal cinema.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Good food, loud place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Republic is known for their noodle bowls with unique combinations and flavors. The restraunt was very loud and hectic as there was no real place to check for a table. We were seated right next to the door which was very unpleasnt as it was freezing out and the door was constantly being opened. So....good food but you may have to shout a little to talk with friends.