“Noodles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Republic

Republic
37 Union Sq W, New York City, NY 10003-3217 (Manhattan)
(212) 627-7172
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,446 of 11,649 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese, Noodle Shop
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Portland, Oregon
“Noodles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I remember when this restaurant first opened in 1996 - the menu has stayed the same for 15+ years, but it is still fast, fresh, and affordable (by NYC standards.)

My go-to is the Wheat Noodle Salad. Very good flavor combinations with peanut and mint, but the star are the noodles. Chewy, but tender.

Had a lychee martini, and it was refreshing with chewy bits of fruit. Sat at the bar, and had my food in front of me 5 minutes after ordering it.

My only complaint is the loud atmosphere. It can be a deafening din when it fills up. Has always been a problem.

I have taken countless visitors to Republic, back when I lived near NYU. All have enjoyed it.

65% Recommend
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Incredible tastes, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My partner and I ate here for a quick lunch, and so pleased we did.

First of all the service was outstanding, very friendly, very efficient.

Secondly, the food was amazing -A great selection and would seriously recommend the noodle bowls.

Ideal for lunch, with a good drinks selection and a simple, but very nice menu.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Great noodles - very hot restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love this place in the midst of the Union Square madness - although it's not quiet (quite loud acoustics for the restaurant chatter), it still feels like an escape from the thonging sidewalks. The service is very efficient, and the noodle dishes are great value, flavourful and seem to be good quality ingredients. I had spicy beef broth with wholewheat noodles - the meat was very tender and plenty of it. My boyfriend also had a broth dish - the Vietnamese chicken and he thoroughly enjoyed it, albeit he "customised" it quite heavily with more hot sauce (but that's just his preference). Our only complaint on this visit was how hot the restaurant was - absolutely baking hot, even after we'd shed as many layers of clothing as possible - it's never been like that before when we've visited, so I'm guessing it was a temporary glitch. A very enjoyable place to go for lunch or a casual dinner - close to lots of shops and the Regal cinema.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Good food, loud place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Republic is known for their noodle bowls with unique combinations and flavors. The restraunt was very loud and hectic as there was no real place to check for a table. We were seated right next to the door which was very unpleasnt as it was freezing out and the door was constantly being opened. So....good food but you may have to shout a little to talk with friends.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“Noodles, noodles, Noodles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our group of 5 was seated in 5 minutes on a Saturday night and we had great service. I had the BBQ Beef, which was excellent. Prices are what you'd expect in the City. I think my meal was $15 plus the $6 beer. Pretty reasonable all things considered. I'd definitely send people back after my first visit.

• Visited March 2013