“one of my best culinary experiences” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lupa

Lupa
170 Thompson St, New York City, NY 10012 (Greenwich Village)
(212) 982-5089
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lupa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #814 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: Between Houston and Bleecker Streets
Transit: B,D,F,V or A,C,E to West 4th St. 6 to Bleecker St. 1 to Houston St. R or W to Prince St.
Tel Aviv, Israel
“one of my best culinary experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I went to Lupa for lunch on a recommendation of a friend. It is on the edge of SOHO which is nice. The restaurant looks rather simple, a bit of home-style, not fancy. Anything we ordered had a unique taste which wake your taste buds up. The beets and pistachio apetizer is a gem. The sardines with raisins and pine nuts is an eye opening idea, the home made Testa was delicately spiced, very exuisite. Same thing with the pasta.
the open wine we ordered was also a good choice.
Bravissimo!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“Excellent for italian dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I went to Lupa based on a Cleveland restaurant owner's suggestion - and it was amazing! Great location, food, service. Definitely get reservations because it's a smaller place. Everything was wonderful! Can't say enough about this place.

Visited October 2012
Oslo, Norway
“Flavors exploding in your mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had the two different pasta's of the day and the flavors were so powerful that we were inspired to try to copy the dish. Not sure if we can ever manage that... Got the place recommended from a colleague and it was well worth the visit. The wine list is extensive, but don't trust the sommelier. He said that the one we suggested was from a completely different region that it was and seemed to make up stories about the wine. The food was however so incredible that we didn't care.

Visited October 2012
Boulder, Colorado
“Good Roman Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I haven't been to many Mario Batali restaurants so I don't know how Lupa stacks up but I enjoyed my visit here overall.

It's a very relaxed environment so it's the kind of place you can just pop into on a whim (depending on crowds). We came for a late lunch so it was pretty quiet.

We travel to Italy quite a bit and the cacio e pepe here is really very good. They've probably taken a few liberties with the traditional preparation but it's for the better in my opinion. We also had the braciola which was extremely flavorful and seasoned well. The saltimbocca did nothing for me as I found it not to be faithful to the Roman style. It was much fussier and too salty. It was like being hit with a sledgehammer when a feather would do!

However, the Tartufo on the dessert menu is something I would travel a distance for! It really is spectacular and a step up from plain old ice cream. Next time I will refuse to share!

Visited September 2012
“Our Neighborhood Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We consider Lupa to be our neighborhood Italian bistro, although a bit pricier than we'd like. We've had service that was stellar but also staff who were not so accomodating. We've always had good food, especially the fish of the day, duck, hanger steak, some appetizers and select pasta. ASK which of the pastas are home-made. Not all are but the ones that are homemade are excellent. If you are not having appetizers, we strongly recommend you order a vegetable a la carte because most dishes do not come with sides.

• Visited September 2012