“pricey, and not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bar Pitti

Bar Pitti
268 Avenue Of The Americas, New York City, NY 10014 (Greenwich Village)
212-982-3300
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,563 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Lake Grove, New York
“pricey, and not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Ate here last night before going to a concert at City Winery. Sat outside which was nice enough. That's where the niceness ends. After we were seated, a waiter brought over a blackboard and left it on a chair next to us with now explanation of the specials (which were all in italian). Different waiter came by to ask for our drink water, and looked totally annoyed when we asked for nothing but water. same water came back with a tiny plate of bread and looked aggravated while pouring some olive oil into a small bowl. Food came out very quickly. . However, the amount of food they give you is tiny, especially for the money they charge. My husband ordered one of the specials, veal scallopine; three 2" in diameter, paper thin pieces on the plate, couldn't have been more than an ounce of meat altogether. Ridiculous for the price. I asked for fresh ground pepper, it never showed. After clearing plates, didn't ask if we'd like to see dessert menu, and I certainly wasn't going to ask for it. Different waiter came by with the check. By the way, they don't take cards, CASH ONLY. Of all the different waiters and host we encountered, not one spoke more than a word to us, if at all. Very unfriendly staff overall, unless you happened to be fluent in Italian, in which case they stood by your table and chatted. Didn't get a single thank you the entire time from anyone. Wouldn't go back and give another cent to this place, especially when there's another restaurant right next door.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Singapore
“Excellent, authentic Italian food in the Village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

A local whom we met while walking along Bleecker St recommended this restaurant to my wife and me me.

We tried it for lunch, and we're so impressed with the quality of the food that we returned for dinner the following night.

The home made pasta dishes were really tasty and coat about $18. A good wine list from which we could order a reasonably priced bottle of Italian red.

I wouldn't say the wait staff were the friendliest, but I was prepared to overlook that in favour of the tasty food in an al fresco dining experience.

Annapolis, MD
“Pity the poor diner that patronizes this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I were in town for our anniversary and decided to dine at Bar Pitti based on the good reviews. It was a gorgeous spring evening so we sat outside. So far so good. Went rapidly downhill from there. First, one waitperson came by, took away the extra silver and plunked down a large chalkboard- all without a word. A bus person sauntered over, filled the glasses with water and again, no acknowledgement. Finally, a different waiter came to take our order. I assumed the chalkboard were the specials - all in Italian- so I asked about a few of them and got vague answers. He left, another one came by- a little less rude, but patronizing (his answer to my question of what kind of pasta a certain dish had, was "homemade-- you know, not dry." ) I could go on and on about how rude and condescending the service was, but I don't want to bore you. Let's just say the food- that homemade pasta- was just ok and strangely tasteless. Certainly not worth the odd, disdainful treatment from every server we encountered (or the cash- only policy). There are many, many other choices for dining in NYC. Don't bother with this one.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Rude & Rushed Service. Tons of negative reviews!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I must say that it started out as a great experience because of being able to sit outside on the streets of NY and people watch as well as it being a beautiful evening, weather wise. The service was ok and the food was just ok BUT...after we finished our meal "A" waiter (who didn't start out as our original waiter) breezed by and put the check on our table and quickly walked away without even offering us a dessert/coffee menu. It literally took several tries to get his attention again to ask him for a coffee/dessert menu and when I finally did, he literally gave me a dirty look, shook his head as if to say it was a bother and huffed and puffed as if he was doing me a favor. He wanted to rush us out and the fact that he had already wrote out our check and now had to re-write it was more important to him than showing us the respect of deserving patrons.
I actually apologized and asked him if it was a bother to him that I asked for a dessert and coffee menu. He was taken back that I even called him out on it. He said "my back hurts. I have a bad back. Is that a problem for you?" In disbelief I said "no, it's not my problem that you have a bad back, it's yours! I just asked for a dessert menu." I then asked repeatedly for a manager and he refused to get the manager. Instead he quick realized "his bad" and tried to cover his hide and verbally gave me the dessert menu. After his refusal to get the manager and then offering me dessert, after the fact, I got up and got the manager myself. I explained the horrific attitude and unpleasantness of this waiter to the manager. All the manager said to me was "Leave him zero tip." Ummmm....that's fine but is that how you treat your customers?!! C'mon now...dining out should be a pleasant experience and if you are a server you should be expected to present yourself in a polite manner. If you can't do that, than don't be a server. Needless to say all the hype about this restaurant went right out the window and I highly doubt I'll ever go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florida
“Great Atmosphere and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The outside tables are a bit crowded but the view and atmosphere on a spring day is refreshing. The pasta and sauce is the best we have had in the city. Waiters are a little brash with customers. Not to us but we witnessed a waiter get nasty with two other parties. They do get very busy and you may have to wait but it is worth the wait. Good food and fair prices.

Visited May 2014