“Great food fun atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spice Market

Spice Market
403 West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (West Village)
(212) 675-2322
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Spice Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #362 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Tapas, Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: 9th Avenue
Transit: A,C,E,L train to 8th Avenue
Description: Highlighted in the national and local press, Spice Market, on the corner of 9th Avenue, is inspired by the street food that Jean-Georges Vongerichten enjoyed while traveling in Asia. Authentically uplifted versions of flavourful street foods are served family-style, with dishes arriving continuously throughout the meal for all to share. Spice Market also offers corporate and social dining for large groups in the restaurant, lounge, and intimate, semi-private alcove rooms.
“Great food fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I found this restaurant after walking the high line. What a great find. Luckily , we found it before it got busy - what a hot spot. Every dish we ordered was incredible . Service was on and off - it was good at the start, but then hard to get a second round of drinks and dessert once the place got busy with the local crowd coming for dinner after work. The ovaltine dessert was incredible - I would come back just for that .

Visited August 2014
403SpiceMarket, Guest Relations Manager at Spice Market, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Yayan63
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your experience at Spice Market. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the food and the Ovaltine dessert! We strive to achieve very high standards of food and service and it is only through our customer's comments that we can do so, therefore I sincerely thank you for your feedback.

Absecon, New Jersey, United States
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

While in NY my sister and I stumbled upon this restaurant for dinner. We were seated outside as requested to enjoy the beautiful day. We ordered 4 items to share and were very pleased. The Salmon Tare Tar was out of this world, creamy and flavorful. The Asian Slaw was great, as well as the sashimi sushi. We ordered the lobster roll and was surprised at the flavors and lightness of the rice paper in stead of rice. This is a restaurant I would go back to but this time dine inside in the beautiful atmosphere. Inside you feel like you are in a different country.

Gina W
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your Spice Market experience. It is great to read that you and your sister enjoyed all 4 items that you ordered! My personal favorite would be the Salmon Tartare!! We look forward to your next visit inside enjoying the décor we have to offer.
Glen Cove, New York, United States
“Best Drink Ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We were there with a bachelorette party and had a private "nook". A u-shaped sectional with lots of pillows for just hanging out and relaxing. If you like dark places you'll love the ambiance. We started out with some appetizers, boneless babyback ribs, grilled chicken satay and pork belly buns. They were all good. I had the Vietnamese Chicken Curry which was very good but would have liked just a bit more spice. However the one thing that was outstanding and I can't stop thinking about was the Cucumber Chill Dill Infused Belvedere Vodka, Cucumber, Lemon cocktail...it was out of this world! It's worth a trip to the Meat Packing District just for that drink.

We had a late dinner (10 pm) so by the time we left the District was in full swing. If I was 20 I would've loved the nightlife on the streets but being 49 it was not for me. If I go again I'll go earlier in the evening and avoid the hoochie mama's and horn dogs trying to get some action ; D

Lisa Z
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your Spice Market experience. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the Cucumber Chill as that is one of my personal favorites as well! We look forward to your next visit at an earlier time!
Armonk, New York
“Spiced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Waiter said the spice was strong, but my friend was just back from Viet Nam and I had been to Thailand and India, so we thought it was mild.
Walking in first noticed how dark it is, and how immense- trek to lower level was formidable (restrooms). We dined top, in view of kitchen. Reasonable selection of Southeast Asian dishes. I liked the yellow curry (my favorite is green) and her fish was not overdone.
Interesting decor, sort of Thai tourist/hotel .
Service was OK, not intrusive but present.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Anise2014
Thank you for your feedback following your dinner at Spice Market. It is great to read that you enjoyed the food and the ambience that we have to offer. We strive to achieve very high standards of food and service and it is only through our customer's comments that we can do so, therefore I sincerely thank you for your feedback.
Jupiter, Florida, United States
“Great food and great ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is truly a sophisticated place. It is trendy and unique. The Decour is truly one-of-a-kind and transport you to another place. The food was very good but did not have the distinct flavors as I was hoping for. However, I suspect that was their goal as that may not be what most people would want. Although the staff was quite attentive, they just seemed cold in their interaction in responses. Perhaps that is just the way it is up in the big city.

Joe A
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing about your Spice Market experience. I am happy to hear you found the atmosphere and location very good. Following your comments relating to the food, I can only apologize that the dishes were not to your taste. We strive to achieve very high standards of food and service and it is only through our customer's comments that we can do so, therefore I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I hope this incident does not deter you from returning to Spice Market and should you wish to return, please contact me personally on mburgstaller@ny.spicemarketllc.com and I will ensure you are well looked after.