“Outstanding Service & a wonderfully authentic Italian eating experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Il Mulino

Il Mulino
86 W 3rd St, New York City, NY 10012-1095 (Greenwich Village)
212-673-3783
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Mulino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #615 of 11,750 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: West 3rd, between Sullivan & Thompson
Transit: Take the A, B, C, D, E, F or V train to West 4th Street.
“Outstanding Service & a wonderfully authentic Italian eating experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to Il Mulino on the advice of an Italian friend who is also a restaurant owner. When he said we would be treated to exceptional service and would have the best Italian food in New York city, he wasn't kidding.

Pre dinner appetizers include the cheese guy coming to your table with a 1/4 wheel of parmesano reggiano cheese and carving out a chunk for you, fried zucchini, lovely tomato bruschetta, salami/sausages, garlic bread, and a homemade spicy foccia that are just the beginning of a wonderful meal.

If you love Italian wines, then the list will not disappoint. The bartender selected a fine Super Tuscan for us that was an incredible value at just $85.

For our pasta dish we chose one of the days specials - a house made squid ink pasta with scallops and shrimp. As good if not better than some we have had in Italy.

For our main courses we both had veal. I had the "light veal chop" served pounded thin, then lightly breaded & sauteed and covered with an arugula salad and light dressing. To my dismay, I could only eat 1/2. If I could have finished it I would have, but even though the pace of the meal was perfect, I couldn't fit in another bite.

My husband had Scaloppine Capriccio which is veal sautéed in white wine, prosciutto, fontina cheese and mushrooms. He said he could cut the veal with a butter knife it was so tender. He absolutely loved the sauce and the flavors with the veal but also couldn't finish his meal. (he received 3 healthy size medallions and could only eat 2).

We had also ordered a side of sauteed spinach, but hardly ate any even though it was excellent.

We did wind up sharing a tiramisu - again, because the staff don't rush you, we were able to find some room. Also at the end of the meal glasses of house made golden raisin grappa were served. Now, most grappa I have had except the occasional brunello grappas or Sassicia's grappa have tasted like rocket fuel. Not Il Mulino's - very smooth and tasty.

I can't say enough about the staff & the service. Knowledgeable, attentive without being over bearing, friendly and professional. Every body worked together to make your dining experience exceptional. They even put on a fresh table cloth before the dessert and coffee course.

This is not going to be a cheap night out so don't go if you are not willing to drop a few dollars. However, you will not be disappointed with either your meal or the service and you will definitely not go away hungry.

I will definitely go to Il Mulino again next time we visit the city.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hamilton, Ontario
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Very expensive but the quality of the food and service are outstanding. Portions are big so be careful not to order too much or starve yourself beforehand. Highly recommended to anyone visiting the city and looking for a romantic and authentic Italian dinner.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Absolute Perfection.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

As a born and bred New Yorker, I've spent the majority of my life scouring the best new 'it' restaurants, discovered the most underrated (Sun Chan), overrated (Del Posto), hidden gems (machivelli) ... I've been to A LOT of restaurants in my day and I can safely tell you, hands down, this is the best Italian restaurant I've ever been to in NYC. The complimentary starters are not only generous, but delicious (olive oil foccacia, fresh parmiaggano, a crispy zucchini medley and a delicious bruschetta with tomatoes so red I wonder if they were flown in from Italy).

Sure, it's hard to get a reservation (you should aim for one month before the date) and you still end up waiting at least 15 minutes- but as soon as your patience is about to run out, you get seated by a charming maitre d, sit at your perfect little table and everything starts to fall into place.

For appetizers, we ordered the Artichoke/Bacon dish drenched in a butter sauce (a huge win fro my bacon obsessed boyfriend) and the Porcini Ravioli cooked in a decadent cream sauce (delicious). For entrees we ordered the Cappelini with Arrabiata (neither of us have ever tasted a better Arrabiata sauce) and the Veal Milanese (worth the $ 48 price tag).

Two words of advice: Listen intently to the long list of specials (it's only available verbally) and DO NOT binge on the complimentary appetizers. It'll be hard to let the servers remove the plates, but believe me it's worth saving room for the 'real food'.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Il Mulino Uptown Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited the uptown restaurant and like it better than the original downtown. If it wasn't for all the free appetizers they give you before dinner, the dining experience would not be worth it. The food is solid, but it is not anything that blows your mind for the price you are paying. Plus, they rush you through your meal that it feels like a fast food dining experience. Don't get me wrong the food is good but combine the service, price and the tight dark room and you are better off going somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham
“Still has the Magic Best Italian in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Can be pricey so visit for lunch. These are classic garlic butter and cheese experts. Everything on the menu is cooked perfectly. They will fill you up with great bread and antipasti before you even order. I now want to try the sister restaurants in other cities.

Visited March 2013