“Great tapas and ambiance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alta

Alta
64W 10th St, New York City, NY 10011 (Greenwich Village)
(212) 505-7777
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
New York City, New York
“Great tapas and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

This place is great for a date or a group dinner. Its got a romantic/intimate atmosphere. I've come here for a few birthday celebrations with friends and thought it was great. The food is outstanding. The tapas are small and pricey, but worth it.

• Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
“Whats all the fuss about!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I began to grow old of our usual tapas spot and so when I came across Alta and all of its positive reviews, I did not hesitate to make a reservation. We decided to come to Alta on my boyfriend’s birthday and I must admit we were both very excited to be trying a new tapas styled restaurant. Unfortunately though, to both of our disappointments it was not as grand as all of the reviews panned it out to be. I will start by saying that the decor and ambiance of the restaurant was very beautiful and cozy, but other than that there was nothing else really special about this place. We came for dinner on a Sunday night, around 8pm and while they were busy, it did not seem so to the point where they would need to seat us at a six top that was already accommodating a deuce, soon-to-be a three top, at the end of the table. Call me stuck up or whatever, but when I go out for dinner with my boyfriend I would prefer us have our own table not to share one with strangers. Alta, in my opinion, puts the needs of its restaurant before the needs of their guest. For example the guest has to call before 3 to confirm their reservation or it’s cancelled, leaving a small pitcher of water/bottle of wine on the table sending a message to the guest that they don’t want to be bothered with checking if he/she needs their drink refreshed, which by the way if I wanted to pour my own wine or water I would simply dine at home and lastly seating multiple parties at one table. All of these things are to accommodate the needs of the restaurant and not so much the needs of their guest. The restaurant was also not that generous, they offered no complimentary bread (which I always look forward to at most restaurant) and although I’m aware it is a tapas bar the portion in comparison to the price was unreasonable. Service also wasn’t that great the waitress came over briefly twice, but I guess more than that wasn’t necessary since we refilled our own glasses of wine and water anyways. In conclusion I would not recommend this place it isn’t worth the price especially with the service you get.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Long Grove, Illinois
“Great Dining and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

It was not easy to get to the restaurant on a Saturday night coming from Midtown; but it would have been worth driving in from New Jersey for the food, the experience and the Sangria. Because we had to wait for a table for fifteen minutes, we were given a free round of drinks and dessert. It was such a lively scene, we didn't even mind the wait or the crowd at the bar. The food choices were amazing and very filling. The maître d', Victor, was delightful. Must have reservations. The squid ink paella was incredible.

• Visited March 2014
Corner Brook, Canada
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was by far our best dinner out on this trip.

The atmosphere was gorgeous. Real fire place. Great bar area. Cozy eating area. Beautiful.

The staff were excellent. Huge selection of small plates. Onsite sommelier helped us chose a bottle of wine. The food was outstanding.

Unlike most NYC restaurants we didn't feel rushed at all. In fact our server told us to take our time & enjoy. He suggested that we order a couple of plates, take a break, order a few more. This helped make the night so enjoyable.

We will highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited February 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent night out among amis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Cab driver missed it and we walked by it twice. Worth the effort to find it.

Nice looking place inside. We were seated upstairs around a railing looking down on diners below. Excellent ambiance. Bar area also had a great vibe.

Three of us shared 9 plates. Excellent variety. We had the fried goat choose, lamb meat balls, duck breast, pizza, and other great bites.

Service was fast and accommodating.

Desserts were great too.