“Best Steak au Poivre ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Raoul's

Raoul's
180 Prince St, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)
+1 212-966-3518
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Raoul's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #219 of 11,750 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: between Sullivan and Thompson Sts.
Transit: N or R to Prince St. C or E to Spring St.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Best Steak au Poivre ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I never say "best ever" but the signature steak au poivre is, in fact, the best ever. In fact Alex (our excellent waiter) was shocked that we didn't finish it. I think we hurt his feelings but I rarely eat more than 4 ounces of meat at a meal these days and it had to be at least eight. "We" is my wife and I; our adult daughter had the rack of lamb, medium rare, and she raved about it as well. A bottle of 2006 Chateau Brane Cantenac Le Baron de Brane Margaux was perfect with both entrees and seemed about right at $100. We all had the exceptional foie gras. As a bonus, we were going to have Champagne with the foie gras but Alex suggested a Monbazillac (a sweet wine similar to a Sauterne)(not an upsell at $15/glass) and the two meshed perfectly. Ambiance was very bistro. The bill came to $450 plus tip for three with the above-mentioned wines and three glasses of champagne, which seemed about right for the quality, ambiance and service we received. WE would highly recommend it and would go again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Holmdel NJ/Ft Myers FL
“Still a gem after all these years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have been coming to Raouls since the two brothers opened this restaurant in SoHo when I was a young teenager. It was always a treat to walk around the corner to Rauls and to have a 'genuine' French Bistro experience. While the staff has turned over some and I have not been in Raouls in six years I was not disappointed. The Steak Au-poivre is still a staple although I had the Wagyu Steak, Frise Salad, Beets could have been better...perhaps blanched too long?

Service was excellent perhaps a little cold...used to being treated like a regular...but hey we moved away some time ago. Overall one of the best French Bistro's you can find in NYC.

It is a shame they lost the back room...this was a great treat...walking through the kitchen and sitting in the back under a glass roof was always a little hideaway...still a gem.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This place comes alive at night. The cozy atmosphere just adds to the ambiance. The food was delicious but the memorable part was dessert. The sticky fig cake is one of the best desserts I have ever had! The music was great, a lot of 70's and rock the night we went. Sunday night was busy so I can only imagine a Friday or Saturday night.

Vancouver, Canada
“Lively room, great food, but accessibility issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My friend and I enjoyed a great meal at Raoul's on a recent Friday night. There were at least two tables of French-speaking patrons in our immediate vicinity (translation: street cred!). We shared the delicious foie gras appetizer to start, and my friend ordered the restaurant's signature dish (steak au poivre, served with an enormous portion of fries and a small watercress salad) and I had the scallops with uni and pork belly. Our server was kind enough to point out that the scallops dish was small (3 scallops, stacked with pork belly and a blob of uni), but that didn't make a big difference because I ended up stealing more than my fair share of my friend's frites. The scallops were expertly cooked, but the pork belly was a little tough and difficult to cut without squishing the scallop sitting underneath. I ordered a watermelon vodka cocktail topped with cracked black pepper, which had real watermelon puree but was a little too boozy-tasting to enjoy (I drank it all anyway, nevertheless).

The only drawback is that the room is a quite cramped and loud, but that's part of the experience. If you're looking for a chic, "designed" room, go elsewhere. This place has a decidedly dated look (we sat next to a bright 80s/90s-esque aquarium), but you're here for the food, not the scene.

PS: In addition to having a very cramped space, the restaurant's bathroom is located on the second floor, which is only accessible via an incredibly steep and tight spiral staircase (we watched an elderly lady take about 3 whole minutes to make the entire one-story climb), so accessibility for patrons using a wheelchair is non-existent.

PPS: Patrons at the bar are able to order the restaurant's burger, which is off the menu and not available for dining room patrons. My friend's partner (who was not dining with us) has said that Raoul's is the best burger he's ever had. We were sad we weren't able to try it for ourselves. If you're a burger fan, definitely learn from our mistake and try to get a seat at the bar.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stoney Creek, ON
“Awesome Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food was excellent and the price was pretty reasonable. The steak and chicken entrees we very delicious and filling. Our waiter was very knowledgeable. The seating is pretty tight but everything else outweighs that part. If you are in the Soho area you should try it.

Visited May 2014