“Unique waffles (and more)” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Petite Abeille
107 W 18th St, New York City, NY 10011-4101 (Chelsea)
(212) 604-9350
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,864 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Unique waffles (and more)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We read about the waffles so had to try them. They are crisp and tasty, even with "just" maple syrup. The strawberries looked very fresh and I was envying the ones at the table next to us. My husband really enjoyed the lobster omelette that was a special. The tables are extremely close together - my only complaint.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
“awesome outside seating...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

awesome outside seating when weather permits

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“There is really nothing...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

There is really nothing special about this creperie lunch place..

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great for weekend brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

Great for weekend brunch

wtracing
“Horrible Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

I lived in Belgium for a good amount of time and when I went to NYC this weekend I was very excited to try some Belgian food at Petite Abeille. Needless to say, I was very disappointed.

1. The service was TERRIBLE. We were seated promptly enough only to wait almost 30 minutes for anybody to come to the table. Repeated attempts to flag somebody down were ignored by servers simply staring at the floor the entire time. Once we got our order down, my beer took another 5 minutes to arrive. The food another 20. The restaurant was busy, but it was 9:40pm by this point, and rush hour was well over. The check was also difficult to get as was the credit card processing after. We spent probably 20 minutes eating, and over an hour waiting. While in European culture waiting is normal, its typically between courses and the servers are there in a snap if you need them. The service ruined our experience.

2. The food was also mostly "fake Belgian." I had the Flemish Carbonnade and my girlfriend had the Vol Au Vent. The Carbonnade had good grade beef and was cooked nicely, but the sauce is supposed to be a dark brown ale sauce in flavor, theirs reminded me of brown gravy. The Vol Au Vent was pretty decent but the sauce was watery.

Most of all the fries, Belgian fries are supposed to be the best in the world afterall. The trick to them is cooking them twice to give you a nice crisp outside and a soft inside (think Baugettes). Theirs were clearly cooked once and tasted exactly like Ore Ida Frozen Steak Fries that you can purchase at Wal-Mart in a 5lb sack for 2.95.

Their food did not live up to the Belgian tradition or experience in any sense. Perhaps if you visited at lunch when it was slower you'd have a better experience (as some have said) but I'd honestly steer clear of here and try some other Belgian eateries. Pommes Frites has above average fries and was a good experience.