“Hipster alert!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #184 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Singapore
“Hipster alert!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

In a world of bland luxury hotels, let's start with the good news: this place has style. The rooms are not huge, but they have a a classic charm that seems to run back and forth between 1930s and 60s--stylish furniture, elegant bathroom fixings. Somewhat dark color palette (especially in hallways and lobby), but attractive and engaging. Don Draper would stay here.

Then again, Don Draper would stay here. The service was nice, but a little TOO cool, and especially with the same entrance and elevator going to both hotel and rooftop bar, sometimes it felt a little too cool for mere mortals.

Breakfast in downstairs restaurant was good, but service was on and off -- one day blah, next day outstanding. At this price we could expect consistency.

But all said, a cool place that we thoroughly enjoyed. Next time, I'll bring a tie.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JMBridges, General Manager at Viceroy New York, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear 38Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your experience at Viceroy New York. I must say I am thrilled to see that you noticed the era that inspired the design of our classic and attractive hotel.

I am disappointed to see that you received inconstant service and assure you that this point has been addressed with our team. I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I had to pleasure of having a cocktail (or 2) at the rooftop bar at the Viceroy Hotel in NYC at dusk. The view of the park in spectacular and the Moscow Mule was equally spectacular, can't wait to go back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kerry M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Viceroy New York. I am thrilled to see that your time at The Roof was spectacular and that you enjoyed the view.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed here in June for 3 nights and overall really liked this hotel. They let me check in early, which was appreciated, and all staff were super helpful and ready with a joke or a smile; I never felt ignored. Location was great for midtown, as that was where my business required me to be. 57th St subway station right on the corner was a bonus. Room size was expected (this is NYC, after all). Espresso machine was fantastic. Wi-fi included in my rate was reliable.

My room had a few issues that were remedied immediately: the deadbolt was broken and an outlet in the bathroom was loose. Quite frankly these types of issues should be fixed before the next guest checks in, don't you think? But every day I got new toiletries, which I do love. Thanks for keeping a girl stocked in travel size shampoo!

The rooftop bar is intimate and again, great service. We might have had a great view if not for the plastic protecting us from the weather. I'd love to visit again when the weather is fine. I made use of the in-room dining one night and had a delicious soup that the room service attendant poured for me as if I were in the restaurant. Nice touch.

The two major cons: fitness room and the noise. Fitness room was on the small side, which you expect of a compact hotel like this. The room was really hot, too, which surprised me as the lobby upstairs was chilly with air con. Sadly, when I visited both bikes were in use, so I had a choice of 2 ellipticals and a treadmill. But why run inside with Central Park just a block or so way? I didn't visit the fitness room again to see if maybe the air con started working so can't say that it is a regular problem.

The noise: my room was adjoining to another, and I could hear absolutely everything through the door. Luckily nothing untoward was going on, just BBC news at 7am. It firms up the need for a white noise app for sure.

There are so many average hotels in NYC and this one stood out for me because of its fantastic service. I would consider visiting again... maybe with a room not next to the elevator next time.

Room Tip: Light sleeper? Ask for a non-adjoining room to avoid your neighbor's noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear doestravels,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and thoughtful review of your recent stay at Viceroy New York. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our fabulous location, complimentary wifi and in-room amenities. I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your in-room dining and experience and service at The Roof.

I am disappointed to know that you had an issue with noise from your neighboring room and I have followed up on the door seals in each of our connecting rooms to avoid any future issues.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Paid for the Junior Suite to get more space (check) but we were stuck with a low floor, lots of street noise and no view. Returned to room at 5:00 p.m. after being out all day to find housekeeping had not cleaned yet. Roof terrace opens at 3:00 p.m. and was packed with what I can only assume was non-hotel guests. Decor in room was fine. Service was fine.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lisa A,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to Viceroy New York. I regret to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your room and I do apologize that your room had not been serviced by our Housekeeping staff in a timely manner. I also note that you were not pleased with the location of your Junior Suite as it was on a lower floor and you experienced noise from the street and had no view. For future visits, we do have other room categories such as our Park View Rooms and Park View Suites that are located on higher floors and have beautiful views of Central Park.

I am happy to learn that you were satisfied with the room décor and service that you received. Thank you for sharing your comments and I do hope that you will consider Viceroy New York again on your next trip to NYC.
Findlay, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My daughter was on business so I tagged along for pleasure.

This hotel is in a perfect location. It's located 2 blocks from Fifth Avenue (great place to start shopping) and Central Park (so I got in a few runs). We were able to walk to Rockefeller Center and Time Square. Ten blocks is not a difficult in a big city. Lots of great restaurants for lunch and dinner in the area.

The front desk staff, door men, and concierge were very helpful and courteous.

I would agree that the room size is small. Maybe not the best for families but great for business and couples. My daughter and I had a king bed room and had to walk around our suitcases. There are no dressers and a small closet. However, the bed and pillows were great. The bathroom is small with no counter top but we used the wire shelving underneath. The maids were kind enough to clean and replace things around our stuff. The room is very modern feeling and CLEAN. Turn down service is nice since they bring small bottles of complimentary water. The refrigerator is small and stocked so don't plan on putting large amounts food or beverages in it. We were able to put yogurt and two bottles of water in it. The coffee maker is the one disappointment I had. You must use the cup from the coffee maker to get hot water and it took 4 of the tiny cups to fill my normal size tea cup.

My daughter used the exercise room. There is not much equipment but never had to wait to use it. She did inform a staff member that it was hot in there and the next day it was much cooler. They provided towels and bottles of water.

We did not use the roof top bar or the restaurant so cannot review them.

Room Tip: We were on the eleven floor, street side and it was fine. It is NYC so nothing is totally quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear TE1185,

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of Viceroy New York. I appreciate your thoughtful and honest comments regarding your stay. We are certainly located in an enviable location that is perfect for every guest visiting New York for either business or pleasure. We also take pride in our team and I am happy to read your mention of the helpfulness and courtesy that you experienced from our staff.

Although you found the size of your room to be small, I do appreciate your mention of the cleanliness of the room, our great beds and pillows and the nice turn down service you received from our Housekeeping staff. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to easily make your tea with our in room Illy coffee maker. For future, we are happy to bring up a tea kettle should any guest have that special request.

I would like to mention that we do have larger room categories such as our Junior Suites and Park View Suites and which may be more preferable for your next visit.

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you and your daughter back to Viceroy New York.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night. Place was unbelievable in all aspects. Front desk staff was super nice and helpful. Room was small but very clean and modern. The king size bed was comfortable. Its located in a great spot, 2 blocks from Central Park and a short walk to Times Square. Will stay here again when I return to NYC. Cant beat it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear greg t,

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of Viceroy New York. I appreciate your kind comments and will share them with our team. We take pride in our hotel and the service we provide and I am pleased to hear that you found our colleagues to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed the rooms and our convenient location in midtown Manhattan.

We look forward to your return on your next visit.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Loved the Viceroy. Stayed here for 3 night in July 2014. They allowed us to check in way before check in time. The rooms are very clean with modern bathrooms. Front desk staff are very nice and helpful. The location was just perfect for us. A block away from 5th Ave and Central Park. Didn't dine at the Kingside, so I can't elaborate but the rooftop view is to die for. Took a few great pics before it got too crowded. One thing to mention though, it isn't your typical NYC hotel with the revolving doors or bellmen wearing suits or hats. It's extremely hip and modern. There are bellmen but they look more like models. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tanya T,

Thank you for your most recent TripAdvisor review of Viceroy New York. I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the early check in we were able to provide for you when you arrived. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our incomparable location, modern and clean rooms, friendly and attentive staff and the best views of Central Park from our roof top bar.

I thank you for your kind comments and we certainly look forward to your return in the very near future.