“The Best” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Surya
302 Bleecker St, New York City, NY 10014-3425 (Manhattan)
(212) 807-7770
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Boynton Beach, Florida
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Surya is hands down the best Indian meal I've ever eaten. I'm a New Yorker who grew up in the Village, but moved away. This was quite a find when I returned home for a visit. My Husband, who adores Indian food, was over the moon at the quality of our meal. Everything here was perfect. The appetizers, the rice, the main course, the soup, the dessert. We ate in the outback garden on a Saturday night, busy but romantic with the twinkling lights strung up. We still talk about our night at Surya.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Santiago
“Quiet place, Good Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

This restaurant has very nice Indian Food, although it has become an extremely quiet place. If you are looking for a trendy, hip and crowded spot, this is not the place. If what matters for you is fine indian food, then Surya is the place to go.

Visited November 2011
Frisco CO
“Fabulous Neighborhood Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Our concierge made a reservation for us as a live jazz/dinner place in Greenwich village but the menu didn't look great. We checked out the place and it wasn't the vibe we were going for. We wanted to enjoy a place as if we lived there...a cute local place. By chance we discovered Surya. I really haven't eaten Indian much at all for whatever reason, but we decided to go for it. It was busy so we sat at the bar which can be really fun in a new place as you can see all the action. It's a casual neighborhood place that was busy which is always a good sign. The naan was fabulous as was the chicken with almond and saffron cream sauce I had. My husband had the goat, the owners favorite and thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer to experience a new place from the perspective of one who lives there as opposed to always being a tourist. This was thoroughly enjoyable!! We then walked a few more blocks and enjoyed one of the many "20 under $20" bottles of wine at Minerva. A great Saturday night in NYC! Now I can say that I know a great little Indian place in the village. :)

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NYC
“One of my favorite Indian food restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I love the food here. The restaurant has what could possibly be called a secret garden in the back which is an absolute treat in NYC. The food is a bit pricey but well worth it. The service is great but not particularly friendly. Attentive but not super friendly.
I would recommend Surya to anyone looking for a clean Indian restaurant with delicious food.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Subtle spicing, elegant atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011 via mobile

We had crab cake and veg samosa appetizers. Crab cake had wondeful blend of spices and pleasing, unusual flavors. Samosa could have used a touch of hotness, but was still delicious. Main dish was grouper in a wonderful spicy sauce (Chennai, maybe?) Water glasses were too small for my teenaged son. Service was attentive but unobtrusive, atmosphere was calm and lovely with white table cloths. Waiters wear great saffron collored shirts.

• 4 of 5 stars Food