“Fabulous Neighborhood Indian Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Surya
302 Bleecker St, New York City, NY 10014-3425 (Manhattan)
(212) 807-7770
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Frisco CO
“Fabulous Neighborhood Indian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Our concierge made a reservation for us as a live jazz/dinner place in Greenwich village but the menu didn't look great. We checked out the place and it wasn't the vibe we were going for. We wanted to enjoy a place as if we lived there...a cute local place. By chance we discovered Surya. I really haven't eaten Indian much at all for whatever reason, but we decided to go for it. It was busy so we sat at the bar which can be really fun in a new place as you can see all the action. It's a casual neighborhood place that was busy which is always a good sign. The naan was fabulous as was the chicken with almond and saffron cream sauce I had. My husband had the goat, the owners favorite and thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer to experience a new place from the perspective of one who lives there as opposed to always being a tourist. This was thoroughly enjoyable!! We then walked a few more blocks and enjoyed one of the many "20 under $20" bottles of wine at Minerva. A great Saturday night in NYC! Now I can say that I know a great little Indian place in the village. :)

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

NYC
“One of my favorite Indian food restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I love the food here. The restaurant has what could possibly be called a secret garden in the back which is an absolute treat in NYC. The food is a bit pricey but well worth it. The service is great but not particularly friendly. Attentive but not super friendly.
I would recommend Surya to anyone looking for a clean Indian restaurant with delicious food.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Subtle spicing, elegant atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011 via mobile

We had crab cake and veg samosa appetizers. Crab cake had wondeful blend of spices and pleasing, unusual flavors. Samosa could have used a touch of hotness, but was still delicious. Main dish was grouper in a wonderful spicy sauce (Chennai, maybe?) Water glasses were too small for my teenaged son. Service was attentive but unobtrusive, atmosphere was calm and lovely with white table cloths. Waiters wear great saffron collored shirts.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“so spicy but really good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

so spicy but really good!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great indian food and nice outdoor area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Great indian food and nice outdoor area.