“A show that all should see” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #73 of 809 Activities in New York City
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Owner description: MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is the real story of the one-of-a-kind sound that hit the airwaves in 1959 and changed our culture forever. This exhilarating show charts Motown Founder Berry Gordy's incredible journey from featherweight boxer to the heavyweight music mogul who launched the careers of Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, and so many more.
Miami, Florida, United States
“A show that all should see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The show was great. It bought back a time when music was something special. I enjoyed the show and would recommend it to the rest of the world. I only ask that they include ooh baby baby by Smokey Robinson.

Brooklyn, New York
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Growing up in the Motown era, I knew I had to see this show. I attended on Friday Sept 6, 2013 for the 8:00 show. I was not disappointed. I had a orchestra seat, matter of fact, it was the last row in the center, where it had 3 of us in that row. Which turned out perfectly fine by me. I so dislike having to be inconvenienced while folks arrive late etc., The Diana Ross character was beyond "excellent!" she had the total package. Looks, sounds, size, personality. All the characters were on point. The young man who portrayed a young Michael Jackson, is a dynamic performer. Truth be told, the Marvin Gaye character in my opinion had limited appearances. I was expecting so much more. Nonetheless, it was totally worth the money. It's a definite not to be missed.

Visited September 2013
“Rude house staff, great show”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

After a great night out with my mother and grandmother (we loved the show!) I accidentally left my phone in my seat. I went back about 8 min after the show was over, watched the house manager place my phone on the counter of the box office to come open the door for me. She asked what I wanted and then stated that she had a phone and had just placed it to the side, but I wasn't allowed to pick it up until the morning- like I was some child in school!!! Even after explaining to her that as a physician I absolutely needed my phone for emergency calls- she shrugged her shoulders and said, "that's the best I can do." The phone was right behind her!!! I have never spent a fair amount of money to get treated so poorly! Really an astonishing turn of events after a wonderful play! Disappointed. Can't wait for it to come to Texas, when I know patrons will be treated with the respect they deserve!

Santiago, Chile
25 attraction reviews
“Great Music and Fun Show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I really enjoyed this show. I practically grew up listening to Motown music, so I was very interested in seeing this play. My one regret is that more of the stories behind the singers weren't told. The musicians, singers and actors were all wonderful, especially the part of Berry Gordy. It is the play that feels like a concert from the past.

Visited August 2013
NYC
“Absolutely Awesome Musical!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just a great musical about the most famous record label in history, the man who founded it, and the songs we know and love against the historical background of the times.