“Best Wester Herald Square, New York ... Great!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 W 36th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #115 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Edmonton, Canada
“Best Wester Herald Square, New York ... Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We found this hotel to be in a good location in Manhattan. The room was small but very clean and brand new everything. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was amazing...very helpful and fun. The view isn't nice but it is a very good value for the price. Would recommend this hotel and would consider staying here again in the future. If you collect air-miles, you can purchase Best Western Gift cards to use for payment and save a ton of money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The front desk staffs are rude and non- helpful. We asked for help to call a normal taxi at check out to go to the next hotel which is just 2 blocks away. The front desk guy call a limousine taxi and told us the price would be the same price. Turned out it was not because the flat fee of the limousine taxi is much more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here myself for 5 days, during the US Open Tennis. I enjoyed my stay overall, very good in fact, but 1 issue stopped it getting excelletn, as I will describe - but firstly the positives -

Location is great, 100yards from 34st Subway, also 2mins from Macy's and, 3 minutes from the Manhattan Mall, as well as Old Navy, Sketchers, a Foot Locker, 1 minute from H&M

The Staff I dealt with were very helpful and, really pleasant the Manager was a very polite man, who always tried to solve any problems, or questions.

Breakfast, was surprinsingly better than referred too previously : included eggs, bacon, pancakes, cereals, toast, fruit, cakes, pastries, coffee/tea, juices & water - so a good selection I felt.

My problem came with cleaning of my room, one day it was not done at all. when I spoke to manager and front desk staff, they assured it would be cleaned immediately. When I returned, they assured me it was cleaned, it was not!.. I went back down, and they called the cleaning supervisor who again assured it was cleaned, so the manager and desk staff came with me, to my room..and guess what, they were just going into my room to clean it finally...ao that was a lie clearly, by the cleaning supervisor. I appreciated the efforts to get my issues sorted, and the young lady cleaning was so polite as she was not aware of what was going on. But, I think the supervisor had some problems, that spoiled this place getting a 5 star rating. Also, on one other occasion, I returned to my room at 3pm, and it was not cleaned yet.... so I spoke to the cleaner myself, and by 4pm it had been done. (I didnt report it a second time, as it might end up in her getting fired, the supervisor who was poor to be honest).

Finally, the bar was nice, and big screen TVs and a great happy hour selection, also the free Wifi was very useful too. Also, Price was very good around $150 per night. If this issue had not happened it would have been an excellent.

I would stay here again though, it was a thoroughly good stay!

Sharon, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a very new hotel so everything is new. For the price I paid $150/night it was a steal. It is right off of Herald square, access to subways, close to Times Square, Bryant Park, restaurants etc etc. Would be difficult to find a better location.
The breakfast was much better than I expected. It was a hot breakfast with eggs, pancakes etc. Wait staff was very nice and super efficient.
Free wifi, small but nice gym, little out door courtyard. This really was a nice place to stay.
Rooms are small but very new and clean.
In short this is an awesome hotel to stay for a price of close to $150- $200. If it costs more than that I would probably prefer to just spend a little more and stay at a higher end hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room right across the elevator and there was no noise at all. So I'm assuming there is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great hotel, friendly staff, awesome location (close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, subway station and Empire State Building [pickup location for hop-on/hop-off bus]). Could take cab from Times Square for same price as subway for 2 which was nice not to have to wait for subway in hot tunnels. Rooms were NYC small but very nice. Maids did an awesome job with keeping the rooms clean and stocked.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I chose this hotel because it is new, so i assumed everything would be clean & fresh. and the price was fantastic. its hard to find hotels in nyc less than $200-400 per night so this one for around $100 a night was unbelievable. normal rooms for nyc, not horribly small but not big, perfect if your just sleeping there & not lounging in the room. the free breakfast was ok not great. the 24 hour coffee in lobby was a fantastic surprise, the free computer (one only) was nice, a gym included. for the price you cant complain, the staff was very friendly. noise wasnt bad at all typical noises for a nyc hotel.

Room Tip: I was told I would have a queen or king size bed, but ended up getting doubles, but again for the pr...
New York City, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had stayed at a Best Western property before (not in New York though), and was expecting the usual low-cost hotel quality, which I would have been fine with as I just needed a place to sleep, not to hang out. I was very pleasantly surprised with this property though. The hotel location is simply excellent as you are right between 5th and 6th Avenue on 36th Street. I walked to Central Park, as well as to Soho, and many other parts of Manhattan. The property is new with cool room decorations. Rooms are very clean. The staff was very helpful and professional. They were ready to answer any questions I had, even when they were very busy. They booked some tickets for me, booked a car to the airport, etc. Honestly, I was very impressed. I have stayed at prestigious hotels before where the service was not as good as this. I will definitely stay here again next time I go to New York.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN PREMIER Herald Square? Share your experiences!