“Small, delicious and did I mention delicious?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Back Forty West

Back Forty West
70 Prince St, New York City, NY 10012 (SoHo)
(212) 219-8570
Improve this listing
Ranked #5,203 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: SoHo
New York City, New York
“Small, delicious and did I mention delicious?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stopped in on a whim on a Sunday afternoon to the promise of day-long brunch. What a little gem of a place. A block off of the craziness of Broadway/Soho the staff is friendly and the food is truly excellent.

Treat yourself to the grits with the duck leg. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with butter & salt but these were some of the best grits I've ever had - and I know my grits.

It's a small place so you're involved with your neighbors conversations whether you like it or not, but it's a great location to get some great food while people watching.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
“Tasted as good as it looked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our Sunday afternoon, "breakfasty" food was lovely to look at and tasted wonderful.

The kale (Is that green leaf everywhere these days?) salad was like a Caesar, except it was topped with two poached eggs, and roasted garbanzo beans replaced croutons.

The re-imagined Eggs Benedict substituted mushrooms for an English muffin and featured a scattering of bitter greens which worked nicely with the Hollandaise. It was called an "egg sandwich" on the bill -- perhaps a clever reference to the most famous re-imagining of Eggs Benedict, the Egg McMuffin.

I also had a Bloody Mary which, for better (I think) or for worse, had more horseradish than I've ever experienced without catching fire, plus a lovely celery flavor.

Pictures posted.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Sunday Brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friends and I went here at the recommendation of local colleagues. It was the perfect Sunday brunch! HUGE portions, lots of fun, diverse selections, and mimosas (granted, the mimosas were a bit over-priced for the portion you get). The atmosphere was nice, it was busy but not rushed and crazy feeling. The servers were helpful, nice, and chill. We'd definitely go back!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Hahahahahaha what a joke!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ok so the bar looks decent but the bartender has the mixology knowledge of an abstinent Buddhist monk.

THE BACKYARD! you're basically invited to sit in this establishment's trash can. Dirty, broken moldy benches. You get live music from the AC/generator/ice box = I really don't know, something was generating too many decibels for sanity. There was so much green painted around that my brown shoes reflected a grassy color! Seriously, that experience was surreal, I seriously though my drink was spiked.

Take your business elsewhere, I don't see why you'd have to put up with all this and still pay good money for it. Perfect place to recommend to your much hated in-laws.

Visited May 2012
New York City, New York
“So much for going out in style”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

When my husband heard Savoy was closing, he was so upset. One of our favorite restaurants in NYC for many years. He made reservations for the last night, Saturday 06/18/11. Wanted to go out in style, with the best of them. We could only secure a late reservation 945pm, no problem for a Saturday night. We arrived and was advised, our table wasn't ready yet, directed to the bar, which was filthy, wet marks all over the place. And that was because there no no napkins. I guess they figured since they're closing why bother ordering bar napkins? Once seated, it was like turn and burn, so much food was dumped at once there was no room for anything. The server didn't even bother explaining what each item was? Nothing was good, a few things, were just plain bad. Now I know why they're going out of business. The food and service were horrible, not the old Savoy we'd remembered, SAD. They are going to reopen in September, but they wont see us ever again!

• Visited June 2011