“This is why I stick with Marriott” 5 of 5 stars

Free Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“This is why I stick with Marriott”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an excellent stay here and I can't be more complimentary about the location, the service and the value provided at this hotel. Like others, I received an email about a week before my arrival acknowledging my visit and asking if I had an special requests.
I responded by letting the hotel know that I was here for an anniversary trip. I was more than pleasantly surprised when the hotel upgraded us to a room on the penthouse floor with a patio and an excellent view of the city. When we came back after a night on the town, we had chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in the room.
A few disclosures first. I am a loyal platinum member and I used points for this visit. Still, the welcome and the upgrade set the tone for the entire trip. I am a native New Yorker and I am the first to admit I could not live there again because of the pace and quite honestly the attitude. But my experience here makes me more than willing to visit again and again.
It's hard to beat the location near Grand Central and walking distance to so many attractions. I also loved the fitness center and the free breakfast. I couldn't believe one person complaining about the food. It's free, it's filling and provided so many great choices. It also gave me a chance to meet people from all over the world and it felt like I was part of a big family having breakfast together.
I will say New York seems like a much nicer place than the one I grew up in. I feel like I have a new home away from home.

Stayed May 2014
Justin E, Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Hello whodman-

Thank you for your wonderful five star review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while celebrating a special occasion. It is our pleasure to provide a complimentary room upgrade when available to our most loyal Marriott Rewards Elite guests, and I am happy to hear you got to enjoy one of our Penthouse Floor rooms.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back. In the meantime, we remain at your service.

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Greek first
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 3 nights to celebrate her 10th birthday. The staff was consistently positive and helpful. They proactively emailed prior to our visit to ask if we were celebrating a special occasion and even sent a long personalized email of ideas of sites to see with my duaghter. Upon our arrival, they upgraded us to a larger room on a higher floor with a balcony that faced the back of the hotel (quieter). We were concerned there would be noise from our neighbors out on their balconies, but had no issue. The hotel sent up some complimentary cupcakes to celebrate her birthday and easily accomodated any request we made. We borrowed umbrellas for an evening storm and they even helped secure a car to the airport.

As suggested by others, the elevators were slow and one was out of order for part of a day, but we made do. The breakfast was excellent for being included in the room price. Lots of choices. Fresh foods and clean eating area.

It was nice to have the kitchen in the room to store extra food or microwave leftovers.

The only tweaks I would make were that it was sometimes hard to find a concierge and the ones at the desk did not appear as knowledgeable as the front desk staff or as the ones who emailed me prior to the visit. Oh and those elevators. If I could give this place a 4.5 I would. ;)

Overall an excellent, personalized experience for a great price. We will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Upper floors facing the back are positive for the view and quiet. If you don't like waiting for...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hello Eliza M-

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and for staying with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Midtown East.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while celebrating a special occasion and that we were able to help make it even more memorable with an upgraded spacious room on a high floor and outdoor terrace.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel to stay in Manhattan, choose Residence Inn. It is located between Lexington avenue and Third avenue very close to Grand Central.

The rooms are large, clean and equipped with everything one may need: fridge, cooker, tableware, hairdryer, etc.

The personnel is very efficient, polite and helpful.

In fact, I am fishing my memory to find anything I found annoying during my stay and fail. The only tip I may give: ask either for a room not facing 48th St, or for a room located the higher the better. I woke up 5:30 a.m. because of noise made by a trash collecting truck. Believe me, it was not a little five minute noise, it was a long symphony accurately performed during 40 minutes! However, that was the only inconvenience I had to struggle. In all other respects the hotel is two thumbs up.

• Stayed May 2014
Hello Elle_Ventrouge-

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us with our centralized location in Midtown Manhattan and our service oriented team.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Possibly it is not wise to share how truly amazing this property is. Or to tell other travelers the staff is friendly, smart and caring. The location is so well located too like a center point of everything in NYC. And the rooms are quiet, very well designed and using quality materials. And really all this with rooms with balconies too? We loved every minute and will be back, just hope it is not booked because of all the great reviews, including this one.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello BuddyDoogie-

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us with our centralized location in Midtown Manhattan, and that you were able to enjoy one of our upgraded rooms with an outdoor terrace.

Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed here for work this week. ALL staff super friendly and helpful. Room amenities like full kitchen and glassed-in standing shower are excellent. Easy walk to Broadway, Time Sq, UN, etc. Only reason it didn't get a 5 is the antiquated heated/cooling system was still stuck in HEAT mode in May. NOT good for women of a certain age!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello WiWeezie

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us due to our spacious guest rooms and service oriented team. My sincerest apologies about the air conditioning not working properly during your stay. We will be sure to have a member of our building services look into your specific room.

Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Residence is perfectly located along subway line 6 & E & M on 51st; very easy to cover most of centers of interest in manhattan. 15 minutes walking distance from time square along 48st.
Morton williams Supermarket located less than 5 minutes walking distance on 2nd AV/ 48st.
We had a studio for 4 people including kitchen (fridge, dish washer, microwaves, 2 hobs). We spent for 8 nights there.
Perfect to stay in NYC with teenagers (14 and 10 years) and let us the chance to have some diner at home after a very long day walking accross the city!
Breakfast is really good with fresh fruits, waffles... Salty menu varies from one day to another. Really efficient and friendly team in general.
That is a very good address to stay at NYC.
Quite expensive but service is there!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hello hleg31-

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us with our centralized location in Midtown Manhattan close to many subway lines and local attractions along with our professional services oriented team.

Westport, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently as part of a mini getaway. The hotel is very well located (east side near Grand Central). The lobby is basic, and there is no bar, but there are a few in that block. The staff was great. The room was huge--honestly, more than we needed, but better than too small! The wifi was free and worked well. The free breakfast was very good. Many hot and cold choices and the coffee was excellent. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Westportia-

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us due to our spacious guest rooms and complimentary Wi-Fi. Even though we do not have a bar onsite, I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy others next door and across the street and got to enjoy all that New York has to offer.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East? Share your experiences!