“Loved it here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New York Budget Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
New York Budget Inn
Save Saved
You added New York Budget Inn to your Saves list
200 E 34th Ave., New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
“Loved it here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We only stay 3 nights but was impressed with this place. On our arrival we where greeted by a fabulous guy on reception who was sooo helpful, friendly and just great. As were all the others staff!!!
Room were basic: bunk beds, TV, fridge and sink but spotless as were the shower rooms and toilets which are on every floor.
Great location and great place would recommend to anyone. I would go back!!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is the most central and affordable accommodation in New York City, situated on the same street as the Empire State Building and Penn Street Station. The local metro station to uptown and downtown is only around the corner, 5 minute walk.

I stayed at this Inn for the past 10 days and found the staff to be polite, courteous and helpful all all times, even at 2am in the morning as I left today. I've seen them carry people's luggage out onto the street and even hail taxis for them. Now that's service.

During my stay, the staff provided local knowledge about theatre prices, places to visit and tips to avoid the crowds without being too intrusive.

The accommodation itself was neat and tidy, with bathrooms in my room cleaned everyday and the external bathrooms on the floor also cleaned regularly. There were enough power points to share when charging devices - a must for any traveller. Privacy was assured even in the shared rooms.

While the space appears cramped, this is New York City and added to the charm of the place. Likewise, the lack of a big common area is not an issue as travellers spent so much time exploring the city from early in the morning to late in the evening. However, value and quality for price, the Budget Inn comes out on top on my book, especially the free pizza evenings.

Best of all, how many people can say they've stayed at a hostel where the beds are made each day for you. I would certainly come back and recommend the Inn to all my travelling friends.

Thank you Budget Inn and Staff for a wonderful 10 days.

Australian Traveller.

Room Tip: Book early as this Inn gets filled up quite quickly due to the central location.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights as a couple in July.

Hostel is in a good location in midtown Manhattan. Located on the corner of 3rd and 34th street the area is full of cafés, restaurants, fast food joints, bars and any other type if place that serves food and/or drink you can think of.

There is a subway one block away for local trains and it's about a 10 min walk to grand central station.

The street entrance to the Inn is discreet so keep a look out for it. The reception is up one flight of stairs. There is no elevator anywhere in this hostel so if you find stairs problematic this isn't the place for you. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. They also provide a cheap shuttle to/from the airports.

Our room was decent sized, with lockers, a desk and chair, a fridge, a TV, and a sink in the room. There is free wifi all over the hostel. The bathrooms are all separate rooms located throughout the floor, and I never had to queue. The hostel was exceptionally clean.

The Inn provides coffee and donuts free at 8am every morning on a first come first served basis. We aren't early risers or coffee drinkers (and the boyf is diabetic so can't have donuts) so didn't bother with this, but it seems like a nice idea for those who are.

The pizza place across the street does huge slices for $1 and we did have this and would highly recommend it.

We enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to others on the same budget.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had the most amazing experience at the New York Budget Inn - and it takes a lot to impress me. First of all, the staff. Incredible. I was meant to arrive at around 1am, however due to trouble with my airport transfer I didn't get into Manhattan until just before 5. The staff were so understanding, extremely welcoming and went out of their way to make me feel better after a frustrating couple of hours. They joked and put me at ease, especially as I was travelling by myself and as excited as i was about being in Manhattan, I was naturally worried about being a young female travelling alone. The building itself is extremely secure, and at not one point did I feel unsafe or worried. I stayed in a single room, it was small but it hadn't been advertised as overly large. At the end of the day it was a very comfortable bed to sleep in, in a room that was serviced every day and kept at the highest standards (the air conditioning was fantastic as well). I never had an issue with getting a bathroom either, which were also extremely clean. Every morning when I left and every night when I came back, the staff were always friendly and happy to help with any questions and give advice on the best places to go and see. Unfortunately I didn't get to participate in many of the social activities but on the nights that I did just want to chill out in the common area, there were always people to sit and chat with, have a beer with or chuck a movie on to relax to. There is definitely a great atmosphere about the place, between staff and visitors alike. The location could not have been better - I had been looking at many hostels uptown but was concerned about how far they were from midtown. I walked to Times Square every day, 15 minutes away at the most. Subway station is two blocks away, so whenever I caught the subway at night I never felt unsafe walking back. Plenty of bars and restaurants around the area as well, a convenience store/pharmacy across the road. I stayed for 9 nights, and was very sad when I had to check out and say goodbye. I will definitely book at the New York Budget in the next time I visit, it definitely felt like a home away from home. Thank you to all the amazing staff, I am very appreciative that you went above and beyond to make my stay so special! Bel :)

Room Tip: I travelled alone, and would definitely recommend this place to anyone on their own. It is safe, sec...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The New York Budget Inn is conveniently located on 34th street 15 minutes walk from Times Square, what more can I say? The rooms are clean, quiet, cleaned daily, bathrooms the same. Staff friendly and always helpful. Karaoke nights are fun with pizza and soft drinks, and byo alcohol. Breakfast of coffee hot chocolate and mini doughnuts is also included. With alot of extras included. I cannot fault the hostel in any way. Baggage can be held for a small $5 fee if arriving early or leaving late. Cannot wait to stay here again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a week. The staff are so helpful and friendly. We had a room with a double. It was great as it had a microwave and fridge. We shared toilets and showers with other people and they were always really clean. It would be even better with a common room.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed in an all-female dorm, and loved it! The staff were very nice and all were sooo helpful from start to finish. For a hostel, the rooms were above average. Clean, cool air, a refrigerator, and very secure. Yes, there were extra charges, but I was prepared for that, because I CAREFULLY READ THE FINE PRINT on the website. Still less expensive than any other hotel in Manhattan. What I also appreciated was the coffee, donuts and pizza karaoke party they frequently host. It was a great gesture and very rare to find in a such a setting. I'll definitely recommend this place to anyone planning on going to NYC with a tight budget.

The ONLY thing I would have like better was a better bathroom set-up. The bathrooms are shared, but are very tiny and I wished there could have been a bench in there or something.

Room Tip: Request to stay on a lower level, if you can. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to New York Budget Inn? Share your experiences!