“Great little place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New York Budget Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
New York Budget Inn
You added New York Budget Inn to your Saves list
200 East 34th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Sydney, Australia
“Great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights as a couple in July.

Hostel is in a good location in midtown Manhattan. Located on the corner of 3rd and 34th street the area is full of cafés, restaurants, fast food joints, bars and any other type if place that serves food and/or drink you can think of.

There is a subway one block away for local trains and it's about a 10 min walk to grand central station.

The street entrance to the Inn is discreet so keep a look out for it. The reception is up one flight of stairs. There is no elevator anywhere in this hostel so if you find stairs problematic this isn't the place for you. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. They also provide a cheap shuttle to/from the airports.

Our room was decent sized, with lockers, a desk and chair, a fridge, a TV, and a sink in the room. There is free wifi all over the hostel. The bathrooms are all separate rooms located throughout the floor, and I never had to queue. The hostel was exceptionally clean.

The Inn provides coffee and donuts free at 8am every morning on a first come first served basis. We aren't early risers or coffee drinkers (and the boyf is diabetic so can't have donuts) so didn't bother with this, but it seems like a nice idea for those who are.

The pizza place across the street does huge slices for $1 and we did have this and would highly recommend it.

We enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to others on the same budget.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had the most amazing experience at the New York Budget Inn - and it takes a lot to impress me. First of all, the staff. Incredible. I was meant to arrive at around 1am, however due to trouble with my airport transfer I didn't get into Manhattan until just before 5. The staff were so understanding, extremely welcoming and went out of their way to make me feel better after a frustrating couple of hours. They joked and put me at ease, especially as I was travelling by myself and as excited as i was about being in Manhattan, I was naturally worried about being a young female travelling alone. The building itself is extremely secure, and at not one point did I feel unsafe or worried. I stayed in a single room, it was small but it hadn't been advertised as overly large. At the end of the day it was a very comfortable bed to sleep in, in a room that was serviced every day and kept at the highest standards (the air conditioning was fantastic as well). I never had an issue with getting a bathroom either, which were also extremely clean. Every morning when I left and every night when I came back, the staff were always friendly and happy to help with any questions and give advice on the best places to go and see. Unfortunately I didn't get to participate in many of the social activities but on the nights that I did just want to chill out in the common area, there were always people to sit and chat with, have a beer with or chuck a movie on to relax to. There is definitely a great atmosphere about the place, between staff and visitors alike. The location could not have been better - I had been looking at many hostels uptown but was concerned about how far they were from midtown. I walked to Times Square every day, 15 minutes away at the most. Subway station is two blocks away, so whenever I caught the subway at night I never felt unsafe walking back. Plenty of bars and restaurants around the area as well, a convenience store/pharmacy across the road. I stayed for 9 nights, and was very sad when I had to check out and say goodbye. I will definitely book at the New York Budget in the next time I visit, it definitely felt like a home away from home. Thank you to all the amazing staff, I am very appreciative that you went above and beyond to make my stay so special! Bel :)

Room Tip: I travelled alone, and would definitely recommend this place to anyone on their own. It is safe, sec...
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The New York Budget Inn is conveniently located on 34th street 15 minutes walk from Times Square, what more can I say? The rooms are clean, quiet, cleaned daily, bathrooms the same. Staff friendly and always helpful. Karaoke nights are fun with pizza and soft drinks, and byo alcohol. Breakfast of coffee hot chocolate and mini doughnuts is also included. With alot of extras included. I cannot fault the hostel in any way. Baggage can be held for a small $5 fee if arriving early or leaving late. Cannot wait to stay here again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a week. The staff are so helpful and friendly. We had a room with a double. It was great as it had a microwave and fridge. We shared toilets and showers with other people and they were always really clean. It would be even better with a common room.

Stayed July 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed in an all-female dorm, and loved it! The staff were very nice and all were sooo helpful from start to finish. For a hostel, the rooms were above average. Clean, cool air, a refrigerator, and very secure. Yes, there were extra charges, but I was prepared for that, because I CAREFULLY READ THE FINE PRINT on the website. Still less expensive than any other hotel in Manhattan. What I also appreciated was the coffee, donuts and pizza karaoke party they frequently host. It was a great gesture and very rare to find in a such a setting. I'll definitely recommend this place to anyone planning on going to NYC with a tight budget.

The ONLY thing I would have like better was a better bathroom set-up. The bathrooms are shared, but are very tiny and I wished there could have been a bench in there or something.

Room Tip: Request to stay on a lower level, if you can. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Osijek, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I liked everything about this hostel. The dorm room was clean and airconditioned, there were lockers, microwave and minibar. You get free coffee in the morning and there's the free bottle refilling station. The rooms are not big, but spacious enough for a dorm, I was able squeeze my big bag under the bed. Bathrooms were clean every time I walked in, which is great. They were cleaning and fixing something in the hallways most of the time. I liked the way they took care of everything. The staff were able to answer all of my questions, and I had so many :/ (thank you:)) And last of all is the perfect location, you can walk from the hostel to some of the cities attractions.

Room Tip: book early
Tampico, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

It was my first time in NYC and i didn't knew what to expect about this place, but wow! it's amazing, i stayed at the 4 dorm room, the room is great, you have A/C, minibar and a microwave, also free water to refill your bottle and donuts and coffee in the mornings, the staff is very friendly and if i'm going to NYC soon, i'll be staying there, good price! i miss this place so much already.

It's in a very incredible area and 3 blocks away from the subway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to New York Budget Inn? Share your experiences!