“Awesome Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New York Budget Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
New York Budget Inn
You added New York Budget Inn to your Saves list
200 East 34th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
“Awesome Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a week. The staff are so helpful and friendly. We had a room with a double. It was great as it had a microwave and fridge. We shared toilets and showers with other people and they were always really clean. It would be even better with a common room.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed in an all-female dorm, and loved it! The staff were very nice and all were sooo helpful from start to finish. For a hostel, the rooms were above average. Clean, cool air, a refrigerator, and very secure. Yes, there were extra charges, but I was prepared for that, because I CAREFULLY READ THE FINE PRINT on the website. Still less expensive than any other hotel in Manhattan. What I also appreciated was the coffee, donuts and pizza karaoke party they frequently host. It was a great gesture and very rare to find in a such a setting. I'll definitely recommend this place to anyone planning on going to NYC with a tight budget.

The ONLY thing I would have like better was a better bathroom set-up. The bathrooms are shared, but are very tiny and I wished there could have been a bench in there or something.

Room Tip: Request to stay on a lower level, if you can. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Osijek, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I liked everything about this hostel. The dorm room was clean and airconditioned, there were lockers, microwave and minibar. You get free coffee in the morning and there's the free bottle refilling station. The rooms are not big, but spacious enough for a dorm, I was able squeeze my big bag under the bed. Bathrooms were clean every time I walked in, which is great. They were cleaning and fixing something in the hallways most of the time. I liked the way they took care of everything. The staff were able to answer all of my questions, and I had so many :/ (thank you:)) And last of all is the perfect location, you can walk from the hostel to some of the cities attractions.

Room Tip: book early
Tampico, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

It was my first time in NYC and i didn't knew what to expect about this place, but wow! it's amazing, i stayed at the 4 dorm room, the room is great, you have A/C, minibar and a microwave, also free water to refill your bottle and donuts and coffee in the mornings, the staff is very friendly and if i'm going to NYC soon, i'll be staying there, good price! i miss this place so much already.

It's in a very incredible area and 3 blocks away from the subway.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Me and my friend had separate reservations, but the awesome crew helped us end up in the same dorm.

We had a 4-bed dorm ensuite which we stayed 9 nights in and was very pleased with the quality ocg basically everything. The room was cleaned every day and the beds were made. Towels could be exchanged as much as we wanted to. Slippers and soap included in the deposit for the towel.

The only thing we missed was some kind of scale to weigh our luggage. The one they had was apparently broken. Some kind of scale would be nice.

The overall cleanliness of the shared bathroom was very good. They were cleaned at least twice a day, which felt nice.

The AC was working hard during our stay due to the warm temperatures outside. I had the bed closest to the AC, and my sleep was mildly disturbed by the sound and the blasting air. But not much.

The location at 200E 34th street is 15 minutes walk from Penn Station, so it's a great place to stay for a great access to New York City. With a subway stop just two avenues away we could travel like the wind below the streets.

One thing to mention is the showers inability to produce my liking of shower temperature, even if the handle var stationary the temperature went up to scolding temperatures. Though this is a thing for all the American showers I've tried. Not singular to NYBI.

Thank you for a very nice stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great hostel in central Manhattan. I stayed here 1 night. Was booked for 2 but due to flight delays from the West coast I didn't make it for my first night. However the hostel/inn staff were very helpful, allowed me to check into my room at 6am and leave my things/have a shower before heading out to explore the city. Free casual breakfast (dunkin' donuts and coffee) as promised in their pre-booking info and pizza 2 nights a week with karaoke. Nice fun atmosphere in the little communal area. Free access to a few computers plus wifi if needed. Provided a coach drop off/pick up service to the airports if needed but I didnt use this as it sounded a little slow and I was trying to maximise my short time in NY. Room tidy and clean, nicely decorated, with lockable lockers, fridge and microwave (didnt use). 2 bunks in my room. Small but tidy and fine for just sleeping. No kitchen per se but I didn't need this and you are so central in New York (same street as the Empire State and 5 mins walk from the subway) you can easily pop out to nice restaurants/get cheap food locally depending on your budget. Clean bathrooms. Not loads of space for hanging out in the evenings etc but I wasn't really looking for this and for the cost I didn't expect more. All staff were really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Book well in advance if you want to stay here (or anywhere else in New York). Spoke to a few travell...
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed here for a week at the beginning of June 2014, we booked a private twin room with shared bathroom. The rooms are quite small but we didn't really spend much time in there as we were out most of the day. Rooms were cleaned everyday, and the shared bathrooms were upkept regularly. There was one morning that we struggled to get a shower but we went to a different floor as there are plenty of bathrooms. The staff were really friendly and helpful. They also booked us a shuttle service back to the airport which worked out much cheaper than getting a taxi so well worth doing. Fantastic stay here and definitely recommend as in a great location for exploring New York!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to New York Budget Inn? Share your experiences!