“Good choice” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Novi Sad, Serbia
“Good choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Clean & comfortable! Great location! Staff is friendly although they insist on paying if you want to leave your luggage before leaving and they charge on all bags seperately so it's expensive. Beside that, nice experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
yeshaya a, Guest Relations Manager at New York Budget Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
As a courtesy for our guests we offer luggage storage for $5 per bag. Many of our guests take advantage of this service which allows them to store their belongings even after check out. Many find this service to be very affordable and convenient especially if they have a flight to catch and don’t want to carry their belongings while they tour around the city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Angra Dos Reis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at the NY budget Inn for 8 nights during november/12.
My staying was really nice, although we had some issues with heating. One day the there was no hot water and during one night our bedroom heating was so hot we had to shut it down.
The cleaness of bathroons could be a litle better but it was ok though.
The staff is really nice and polite. Also, the neighborhood is amazing. Plenty of good restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: If you guys bring big bags, tray to get a room in the first floor. There is no elevator and to acces...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Banff, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in October. We had wanted to save some money on accommodation, but unfortunately, this place cost us an additional $700.00 on top of all of their additional fees.
Why you ask? I will get to that…
The lobby will trick you. It’s very nice and modern which makes you think the rooms will reflect that ambiance. Don’t be fooled. The rooms are extremely small and basic. There are no elevators, which isn't a huge deal but we had no help carrying up our luggage, or even an offer for assistance.
The rooms are terrible. There is a thick plastic sheet coating the mattresses. Understandable – no one likes bed bugs. However, I recommend they shell out a few bucks and get some sheets that fit the bed. I ended up sleeping on plastic both nights because the sheet was way too small for the bed.
They give you a pillow. But I don’t think it can be classified as a pillow if it’s less than a half inch thick. Needless to say, this room was horribly uncomfortable. Also, the “flat screen TV” they advertised was smaller than my laptop screen. Even though I wasn't there to watch TV. it showed me how cheap the Hotel Management is for falsely marketing their property.
The icing on top was the cockroaches… yep. Enjoyed that fun aspect of this place.
My boyfriend and I have staying in a lot of hostels, done a lot of travelling and experienced all sorts of accommodations, but we have never experienced the bag checking system the New York Budget Inn uses. Our flight was later in the day and we needed to check out so we asked to check our bags.
They charge you a non-refundable $10 for each bag checked… So it cost us an addition $40 on top of everything else. What a money grab.
The bag check room was packed with bags that were carelessly stacked on top of one another. The bag checker needed our help putting our bags on the shelves because he was too short to reach. It was very unprofessional.
We came back 3-4 hours later and asked to pick up our bags, the bag checker had no idea where our bags were. I pointed to the area where we had left them, but my boyfriend’s lap top bag was nowhere to be found. After a few minutes of looking we located his bag on the floor in the corner, nowhere near the other bags. We were very confused and fed up with the lousy service so we left.
From the hotel to the airport the lap top bag never left my Boyfriend’s side. It went from his lap to his back. Going through security at the airport, we pulled out my boyfriend’s lap top and it was completely smashed. The screen was shattered and the side was blown out. It wouldn’t turn on and was clearly broken. It has obviously fallen from the top shelf and they had decided it would be better not to tell us what happened.
We called, told them what happened, and were asked for photographic evidence. Over the next month we sent pictures to the management, described the situation numerous times to numerous employees tried to reach management over and over again, talked to rude front desk agents and were treated as a couple of liars.
In the end, they said they didn't have enough proof and gave us nothing but a “free night” next time we were in New York. I would rather save my $700.00 for another place. Thanks guys – really great service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without cockroaches
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
yeshaya a, Manager at New York Budget Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your comment.

We at the New York Budget Inn pride ourselves in having a clean location. Daily housekeeping is provided to make sure that each room as welcoming as the first day we opened. Maintenance is also on staff during the evening to ensure the cleanliness of our facility.

The new mattresses include multiple pillows of various sizes to suit our guest’s needs. We also provide additional linens upon request.

Guests have the option to store their luggage in our secure luggage room. This luggage storage is monitored at all times to guarantee security. The New York Budget Inn provides bellmen service to assist guests with their luggage.
Newark, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hostel is very tiny! In a room for 2 only one can stand up. The sheets are full of most different kinds of hairs and also the restrooms were smelly and dirty (even with the cleaning person passing trough there 2 times at day!). The staff were nice at the first day, but they forgot to warn us that we need to pay for the lockers, so we have a very awkward situation. The only good thing about this place is the localization. Very nice and at the heart of Manhattan, but that's not enough for the price! I don't recommend this place!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It is very well located. It is Safe. It is clean (they Make your bed in the morning and organise the room).The staff is helpful. I liked the the storage room for your baggage if you have to check out earlier! I also liked that they organise the transport to the airport. It is also a discrete place if you are not into big crowds or want to meet people there, well, I am not into that. It depends on you. There are good cafes around the block, I specially recommend Pie Face (it is from Australia) great coffee, pies, and many things to eat in or take away; it is just in front and 24 hourS. I stayed at the begging of winter, the rooms were warM.

Room Tip: It is good if you choose a room with a bathroom, but if you don't it is ok because the corridor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

staff not friendly at all , WiFi does not work in the rooms toilets and bathrooms very small and smelly, there is no lounge where you can meet people room are smelly too, plus not central to all the sight seen considering the price we pay , take my advice and chose other place with the same price but more central .

Room Tip: try to book some where else with the same price but central
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

This is without doubt the worst hostel I have stayed in while travelling.

I have slept on trains in Vietnam which were more comfortable, more luxurious and there was more room for my luggage. This place truly is the pits.

Others have written about how the staff did karaoke. The only staff we saw seemed to be on duty 24 hours a day and as a result the life seemed to be drained out of them. I would have got more response if I had spoken to my keycard (which didn't work).

The word "basic" doesn't do the rooms justice. The US penal system is known worldwide for its harsh punishments - but if I was a convict I would get a far more comfortable pad.

The twin room with a bunk bed was so small we couldn't even open the door all the way. All the rooms on our floor were the same size - I know this because I looked at the fire safety map.

The bunk beds creak dangerously when someone gets on the top bunk. The mattress was horrible too.

There was not even enough floor space to rest both our bags and stand up.

The bathrooms were at least adequately clean.

Yes, by New York standards this place is cheap and it is well located. But honestly, stay further out and travel into the centre every day if you are on a budget.

I think I would rather sleep on the streets outside than stay at this place again.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to New York Budget Inn? Share your experiences!