“Excellent Stay at the Jade” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jade Hotel

You added The Jade Hotel to your Saves list
The Jade Hotel
52 W 13th Street, 13th Street between 5th & 6th Aves., New York City, NY 10011 (Greenwich Village)   |
Ranked #122 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent Stay at the Jade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I liked the Jade a lot. I stayed here in a Grove Queen room for 6 nights in late June. This is a boutique hotel. The rooms are small but smartly designed and decorated with custom wall paper and lacquered mahogany furniture. Super comfortable bed; very effective air conditioning; and excellent water pressure in the shower. Very quiet. I could not hear other guests or street noise. Nightly turn-down service.

The Jade looks and feels warm and intimate throughout. It comes across almost like a private club in Paris or London. It does not feel like a New York hotel, and that’s a good thing. The lobby is small and while you can have drinks there, it is not a “scene”. This is not a typical tourist hotel and probably wouldn’t be good for someone on business travel or for folks traveling with small children.

Great location at the top of Greenwich Village between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. Very easy walk to Union Square, Gramercy Park, Flatiron, West Village, NYU, Chelsea, and Soho. Easy access to major subway lines going north and south to Times Square, east side Museums, Lincoln Center, Tribeca, and Lower Manhatan.

Plenty of nifty, relatively inexpensive (for New York) restaurants, cafes, and interesting shops frequented by area residents (as opposed to visitors) on surrounding blocks. Try O Cafe on Sixth Avenue and 12th Street; Sotto 13 on 13th Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues; and French Roast on Sixth Avenue and 11th Street (open 24 hours). Great take-away gourmet eats perfect for room snacks or a picnic basket at Citarella’s (Sixth Avenue at 9th Street).

Finally, a word about the staff and service: magnificent.

Special mention to Matt and Kyle at the front desk but everyone (remember, I was there for a week so I believe I met everyone…) was friendly, engaged, pro-active, solution-focused, and gracious. They all seemed genuinely glad to be working at the Jade and that makes for happy, return guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Avon Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had two nights of comfy sleep, with soft blankets and a variety of pillows. We stayed on the 6th floor. We had no view but we really didn't care because we loved the beds,pillows, room and the price. There is no coffee in the room and it is 5.75 a cup, but right around the corner there is a great French Bistro.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Credit River, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The good: great location, nice patio area with upgraded room, delicious breakfast in restaurant, town car service to LGA (not free).
The bad: room not ready at 4:00 check in, VERY small room, awakened at 5am with hammering on walls/floors for 1 miserable hour, not really compensated. Should not have had to pay for first night after that. Was told breakfast was complimentary for our trouble, but didn't tell us that it was for a "certain" menu option. $68 later, we discovered that miscommunication. Also, for a new hotel, the carpets, walls etc look worn already.

We are returning to NYC in 4 weeks, I wish I could say this was a wonderful hotel. So much potential!

Room Tip: Higher floors may be better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Jade Hotel from June 20th to June 24th 2013.

Check in was quick and easy. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor, their friendly bellhop carried our luggage and showed us the room. Loved that we didn't feel pressured to leave him tip, and when we did he was very thankful.

Location was great for this hotel, as it's in Greenwich, so very close to Chelsea, Flatiron district and Meatpacking District. There is a Citi Bike station at the corner of the street, making it easy to walk out the hotel and explore the city by bike (10$ for 24 hours, no additional charges if you use the bike for less than 30 minutes). Several restaurants (including a self-serve frozen yogurt place, yum!), a 7-11, a market and a CVS minutes away. Broadway st is an approximate 10 minute walk away, with plenty of stores to shop around. Madison Square Park is about the same time, meaning it won't be difficult stopping there and grabbing some Shake Shack! Check it out, there's always a line up, but it's worth it as it's one of the most amazing burgers ever! Biking to Time Square took us about 15 minutes.

Service was incredible, and which made our stay there so much more enjoyable. Emilio at the front desk was super friendly, could of chatted with him for hours! We always came back to an impeccably clean room. Bed was really comfortable. Usually when I travel I always say to myself "can't wait to sleep in my bed!" but not this time, I wish I could of brought their mattress back with me! Many good TV channels, so there was always a good 90's-2000 comedy movie that we could watch! If I had to say one "negative" about the room, it would be the bathroom. Nothing major though, but if you want to be picky, the door was transparant (frosted though) so if you're not comfortable sharing your silhouette with your roommate, then you might dislike this. The shower also didn't have a door, so water would splash out and wet the bathroom floor. Besides that, nothing bad to say, water pressure was really strong, something I truly appreciate when traveling and staying in hotels! A/C worked perfectly. I have nothing to say against the size of the room, it was comparable to other hotels I've stayed at in NYC. The bellhop was always there to open the doors as we exited or entered the hotel, and always with a big smile.

We were able to have our bags stored on our last day, after our check out, so we could go out for lunch and shop a little before driving back to Montreal. Check out was a little more complicated than checking in as there was a mistake made on our credit cards, but we were well taken care of. They apologized and told us the problem would be fixed when we got back, which they did.

I had a really good stay at the Jade Hotel, would of loved to stay longer, and will definitely be going back on my next trip to NYC. Thanks so much for the excellent service Jade Hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Linkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

A rather small hotel in lower Manhattan in quiet surroundings, very friendly and competent personnel. Rather small, but elegant rooms with all necessary equipments. Good food and sometimes live jazz during dinner time. Pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: It's worth to take the de luxe rooms. The area is quiet so the location of the room wouldn't...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

location - tick. stylish - tick. great service - tick. We only stayed a night and wanted somewhere close to Chelsea. For the price (yes the room is a bit small - but hey! we got 2 full size suitcases in there no problems which is more than I can say for other NYC hotels we've stayed in for more $$$) this hotel checks ALL THE BOXES. Highly recommended and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I am writing to express my delight at staying at the Jade Hotel. I felt very comfortable from the moment I arrived outside the hotel, the bellmen greeted me with open arms and the hospitality continued throughout my stay. There was live jazz in the lounge in the evening, the Greenwich Suite was divine, and the bathroom was incredibly well appointed with marble tub and Bigelow toiletries. I wished incould stay longer, but will most certainly be back very soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Jade Hotel? Share your experiences!