“Good location but small space” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Jade Hotel

You added The Jade Hotel to your Saves list
The Jade Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 W 13th Street, 13th Street Between 5th & 6th Ave, New York City, NY 10011 (Greenwich Village)   |
Ranked #133 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Good location but small space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Close proximity to subway and meatpacking district / high line (good for evening strolls). Rooms are small but clean and comfortable.

The hotel has no signage and from the outside it looks like a restaurant/bar. The bar can get busy into the night, but if you are high up enough, you shouldn't be hearing anything.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Highland Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Wanting to visit my daughter in NYC (where I am from originally) I wanted to stay near the west village and found the Jade. It looked lovely, small and in the perfect location. I booked through Booking.com and received a very good rate for 4 nights.
Upon arrival i was greeted by the "better than ever" staff. They couldn't do enough for me. Got a larger room than was booked for........all great.
Now the problems begin......I check my bank account the next morning and The Jade had put a hold on $2200 of my money (supposed to be 1017) That was quite a bit more!
I was directed to the manager Brian (who was AWESOME) and he couldn't have been nicer and dealt with this situation immediately. The money was credited to my account.
ALL WAS WELL!
Jump to day 3 and upon checking my account, the money was DEBITED AGAIN! So now I have bounced checks and returned charges all over the place. Needless to say I spent the morning on the phone calling all of these places to explain myself. NOT a good way to spend time in NY.
The only great thing about this hotel is the staff. They are charming, helpful, interesting and engaging. The service in the restaurant was slow and food was just ok. It is a beautiful place but this whole problem with the charges was very unsettling and hopefully doesn't happen often. Be careful if you book through a third party. And if you want amenities such as movies in the room and a mini-bar.....this hotel is not for you.

Bourke L, Manager at The Jade Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. It is good to hear that our team was such a positive part of your stay and I will make sure to share your comments with everyone. However, please accept my sincere apologies for any billing issues you experienced. It is standard for hotels to authorize the credit card at check-in to ensure that the card is valid and that there are sufficient funds to cover the hotel stay plus a small amount for incidentals such as restaurant charges. But as the two amounts varied by so much, I contacted Booking.com for clarification. They confirmed that the $1071 you are referring to was actually the total for 3 nights excluding taxes and not 4 nights. And as you added an additional night, the total sum increased as a result. Taxes were also not included in that figure and unfortunately New York is a firm believer in taxes as we are required to collect 14.75% and $3.50 each night. Once again, I am truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused but please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. I would also love to speak with you in more detail about your restaurant experience so that we can ensure a consistently great guest experience throughout our property so if you could email me it would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Bourke Lee
Assistant General Manager
blee@theJadeNYC.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We've been to many hotels in the world and have received top notch service, but those words do not come close to the service we received from Keron McDonald @ The Jade Hotel in NYC's Greenwich Village. Keron was the first person to greet us at the Jade Hotel when we pulled up curbside in our limousine. He was beaming with the brightest smile, and was eager to help us get settled in our room. Whenever we saw him during our stay, he always made a point to ask us if we needed anything. Keron is management material. We truly appreciated him.

Courtney in the restaurant also provided superb service; she asked the hotel chef to make a vegetarian dish for us the first night we dined there and it was fantastic. Five stars for the restaurant. (Courtney also gave us great advice about where we could find good vegan restaurants in town. Thank you, Courtney!)

Now for the hotel itself. Where do I begin? It's in a fantastic location, and it's sparkling new. We made reservations for the Greenwich Penthouse, which was advertised as having a queen size bed and a separate "living area." The bed was more like a double; it's width was nowhere near the width of our two queen beds at home. Maybe the beds are some European version of a queen bed. The so-called "living area" was equally disappointing. It consisted of a padded bench & a low profile chair right next to the bed. There was no "area"-- the penthouse is one small room with a very generously sized bathroom with a bathtub spout that was improperly fitted (it was too short to direct water flow directly into the tub, and instead puddled up and dribbled down onto the floor creating a slippery mess. And the awesome tub is really high, so if you're shorter than 5'11" good luck getting in and out). The amenities in the bathroom fell short, too. Not much product to rely on, and the product they did provide smelled less than pleasing. (Of course, this is a subjective assessment; reasonable minds will differ on this point.)

Again, we had expectations when we reserved the "penthouse." A penthouse is a specially designed apartment on an upper floor, especially the top floor, of a building." Imagine our surprise when we exited the elevator short of the top floor. And then to learn there were four rooms, two on each side of the building separated only by a little planter with a baby juniper between the outdoor patios. Read: little, if any, privacy. That said, we loved the outdoor space, despite it's tiny footprint, and the fact that the step leading to it did not appear to be up to code. The view of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building in the distance was probably our favorite part of our stay.

When we called hotel management expressing our disappointment with the queen size bed and "living area," we were not provided with an adequate explanation. Am I bitter? Probably, because we had high expectations based on the hotel's representations on its web site. For the price we paid for this pseudo-penthouse, we could have gotten a suite elsewhere. Indeed, we wound up going to the Intercontinental in Midtown and got a room with a king-size bed, and a separate living room for less money than the Jade Hotel.

The furniture in the room is nothing to write home about. It seemed to us to have more of an Asian influence, not art deco. The low bedside tables don't have a lot of real estate, but there is no shortage of outlets to plug in all your i-devices. That is a big plus.

Don't expect to get a late checkout. The hotel has only two small elevators that are used by the hotel cleaning staff -- there is NO service elevator. The maids have to shlep their carts on the same elevators used by hotel guests. What were the architects thinking? Don't expect a separate business/meeting room either. You won't find any business accommodations here.

There you have it. Beautiful, new hotel with "penthouse" rooms that are disappointing because they are not truthfully represented. For NY standards, the hotel is pretty and clean . . . and petite. For us, the hype and hip factor of the hotel failed to compensate for the shortcomings stated above. Will we return? Probably not. There are too many other options in NYC. But if you're looking for clean, hip hotel in the Village, with no other expectations, you will likely be very happy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My Mom and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this very boutique style hotel. The rooms although small were very elegant and quite functional. I had requested a room on the highest floor prior to coming to New York and they did not dissapoint. We were on the 17th floor and had a great view of the city. The room was very quiet. We had one issue with the air conditioning which we pointed out when we were checking out and the front desk person waived our breakfast bill as an appology. The staff certainly went above and beyond in service and I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Staying at the Jade has been a great experience. The location is quiet and extremely convenient, the staff helpful and corteous, especialy the doormen. The rooms are a god size, compared to other Ny hotels, and the decor superb. It was a great oasis in the city! As a single traveller, I enjoyed the atmosphere - classy but not too posh to make you unconfortable. Defintely reccommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Jade with my sister who was visiting from over seas. This hotel is really quite special right down to the morsel of life changing deliciousness I experienced when I returned back to my room one evening. My housekeeper left a red velvet treat on my bed it was superb. The desk agent told me they are made fresh daily from a local bakery. The employees at the hotel are wonderful and go out of their way to make you feel special. When I arrived I had my wallet tucked away in one of my travel bags Keion and Brian at the front door offered to pay my taxi until I got in and settled, this is real genuine service. The location is right in Greenwich Village so we were able to walk everywhere and did not have to take any cabs. My sister had an incredible view from one of the higher floors so we could see the new Freedom Tower it was beautiful.

My only criticism is the phone situation. When I called to inquire about the location I was put on hold and the same when I called back to make my reservation. When I arrived at check in the phone kept buzzing over and over and the attendant had to keep answering. The staff is professional but I felt rushed because of the phones and I did not feel comfortable to stay and ask the questions I had intended to ask. Every day I would sit in the gorgeous lobby reading while having tea and It was hard to concentrate or relax with the desk agent constantly answering the phone saying Jade Hotel. They must address this, It is dreadful.

I love the Jade Hotel and will be back to stay.

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Back again from a visit to NYC! We stayed at the Jade Hotel, in a very central but quiet enough location. Jade is a very elegant boutique hotel, with excellent and helpfull staff-specially the front door men.
Rooms could be larger. We are tall and had a problem mooving in the room without hurting our feet in the edges of the bed. Small closets and not enough place to arrange our clothes and suitcases. We could hear people from next rooms, talking or closing doors. Walls are very thin!
The jazz band playing on Tuesday was very good and the hotel bar is full of beautiful young people, especially on Friday and Saturday.
Overall, we were pleased with The Jade and would recommend !

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a high floor!