“Perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #146 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for four nights, and it was all good. We vacation in NYC once a year, and I didn't think the room was small by Manhattan standards. New hotel with only five rooms to each floor, so it was clean and quiet. Would definitely stay here again. Anthony is the man at the front desk and he is one cool dude. Thanks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
derek l, Manager at Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hello Marc R,

I'm glad you guys had a great time in NYC! We strive to make sure the guests are comfortable and the best word to describe our rooms is COZY! If there is anything we missed during your stay, please email us info@hjsoho.com and let us know. We will always try and make sure the guests have everything they need! It was a pleasure to have served you during your stay!

We hope to see you guys soon in the near future! Please email or call us and we will surely take care of you! All the best from our team at Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho!

Assistant Front Desk Manager/Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel last night to take a flight very early in the morning. I had had bad experiences in the past with hotels next to the airports in NYC because they're usually very expensive for what you get, rooms where you hear everything like the other persons or the elevator are right in there with you. I read the reviews for this hotel and booked it, thinking I could trust Trip advisor like I usually do. What a disappointment! The hotel pretends its in Soho when it's in the middle of Chinatown, which did not surprise me since I knew it by the map, however I can see how it's poor advertising on their part. Upon our arrival, we were told they since they were fully booked, they had to put us in a room in the first floor, right there in the lobby. This is not a joke, they have two rooms in the lobby and they will put you there, and they are very dishonest not to understand how inconvenient that could be, especially for us who had a flight at 6am and intended on having a good night's sleep. Which we didn't ! I didn't understand why we had to get that room, we booked it early like everyone else through Expedia, and I don't know if its just their way of treating foreigners, or young people, or people who booked through Wikipedia. I would have expected to get a full refund on the room for the inconvenience, but they didn't understand our trouble. On top of everything, it's not like they know they have people who are staying in those rooms and they try to be quiet: they were people talking really loud and even yelling each others names instead of being considerate for their guests, and they were laughing too. It was very inconsiderate, not at all what I could have expected from all the reviews about how they're very nice. We paid an expensive price for this room, and we felt like we were in a vulgar motel, even though the room looked nice and clean. I'm talking about not even being able to sleep with earplugs. I really felt like I had to write this review, because I strongly disagree with how good the reviews are for a hotel where for the same price you can end up sleeping basically in an airport terminal, for how loud the noise is and how badly you're considered. We will not be coming back here, and I definitely won't be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013
derek l, Owner at Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It saddens me to hear that you were disturbed during your stay with us. We take all comments seriously and all feedback is shared with our staff.

I am sorry to hear that the service you received that night did not meet your expectations. I understand it is very frustrating to have a good night's sleep disturbed, especially before an early flight out of the city. We take issues like this seriously and are investigating what happened during your stay. We had a full occupancy at our property due to the Saint Patrick's holiday weekend and during those days we had a full lobby of guests at our hotel. We believe that during the time you were here that we may have had two large groups at our hotel. As a courtesy to you, I would like to extend a free night's stay to you in our deluxe suite, or any number of days at 1/2 the price at our highest floor.

Any questions or concerns at all please contact the hotel directly, and if you still have all of our information someone will respond to you from our guest services department.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very nice, NEW and CLEAN hotel, staff was EXCELLENT............. But rooms were very small. Right in the middle of china town............10-15 minute walk to little Italy............ Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
derek l, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hello Saint 4108,

Thank you for your review of Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho! we appreciate and value your opinion and words. Its the only way we can achieve higher customer satisfaction! If there was anything that you think we missed during your stay here please let us know or email us so we can remedy it immediately. If you decide to visit our great city in the near future please email us or call us in advance and we will make sure your needs are met.

Thank you once again!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well, the hotel was beautiful. It is NOT in Soho however, but Chinatown. This was a little bit of a bummer since I was traveling alone and didn't really know the area. Really the main issue though was one I had with the hotel was the management. The pricing offered on Hotels.com was was not initially honored. It was me as well as many others as per the email I was sent with my personal email address as well as everyone else's who had the same problem. I was told it was a mistake in the system and had to argue with them for two weeks to get the price. It was their mistake, not mine. Then the Manager sought me out while I was in the lobby on the computer and confronted me about it two more times. Again, their mistake and not mine. It is a great looking hotel, nicely kept except for sheets that looked like they were not washed. Totally skeeved and slept on a towel. For the price I got I guess they thought that was ok. Of course, I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you know where the hotel is before booking. It is NOT Soho. Make sure you book through hot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear TwoGirlsTraveling,

Thank you for your review, it bothers me that you didn't have a good stay! We value your words and I apologize for the issue with one of the third party reservation sites. However, the service on the site through which you reserved is not attributable to our guest service liability. We have a duty to fulfill to our guests after they make a booking and often times we extend ourselves further than much larger commercial hotels, especially by honoring the requests online and offering upgrades whenever possible. We understand how frustrating it is when these issues occur! and we also understand it was not your fault. It was an issue that has since been corrected. You are right we are not in located in SOHO but we are still "SO-uth of HO-uston" as the acronym states. Also, If there was an issue with your sheets it would have been better if you let us know during your stay, so we can remedy the issue while you were here.

We still appreciate your review no matter what and we thank you for taking time out of your day to review us. We are saddened that you choose not to return. If you decide to change your mind and give us another chance to show you our true hospitality and service please email us info@hjsoho.com or call us at 212 219 1018. We will make sure all your needs and concerns are addressed.

We Thank You once again!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just spent three nights at this funky cool hotel (definitely not your standard Howard Johnson) and loved it. The rooms are small but hey, when you're visiting NY you shouldn't spend a lot of time in your room. That said, it was clean and modern and very comfortable. The neighborhood is great and accessible (close to the Subway). A bunch of really cool little bars within a few blocks of the hotel. We highly recommend checking out Bar 169! The hotel manager was incredibly kind and helpful and really bent over backwards to help us on our last day (storing bags, arranging rides, etc.). We just had a great time and would definitely stay there again. And the price was more than reasonable for how nice it was.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mike L,

Thank you for your funky review, we really appreciate your kind words about Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho! I'm glad you had a good time, I'm sure there a few kinks we still have to work out and we value your suggestions. please let us know if there is anything we missed, you can email us info@hjsoho.com. Next time you visit our great city please let us know if advance and we will take care of you.

Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Staff in this Hotel were so helpful, so friendly and couldn't have done enough for us. The Hotel was modern, new, and clean. The location was perfect - near to subway stations for getting uptown and far enough downtown to walk to Little Italy, the Financial District etc. The price was extremely good for such a nice, clean, well located NYC Hotel. The Hotel claims to be in Soho but is more in Chinatown but it's a perfectly safe and accessible area and only a couple of streets walk to Soho or Little Italy. At a push to find something I didn't like, the only thing I would have to say is our room was a little on the small side but that shouldn't bother anyone visiting to see New York as like us you'll hardly spend any time in it and the decor/cleanliness and service more than makes up for the room size.

Room Tip: I haven't seen a room on the top floor at the front of the Hotel but I think if you ask for one...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
derek l, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello Ms Tracy Ann Brown,

Thank you for your stay with us here at Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho and thank you for your review on tripadvisor. The front desk at our hotel will always try and maintain a level of professionalism that exceeds your expectations and I am glad you found us so very helpful. We have done our very best with the limited amount of space we had to work with when building this hotel, I am glad you stayed with us at the very beginning of our journey. Please allow us to maintain our high level of service, if you have any suggestions on how we can make your next stay even more comfortable please email us at info@hjsoho.com.

Thank you once again for your review, I look forward to hearing from you!

Jeff

Been to Howard Johnson Manhattan Soho? Share your experiences!