“Brilliant as ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera
245 West 44th Street, Majestic Theater, New York City, NY 10025 (Midtown)
Website
Swinton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Brilliant as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just a fantastic show you should go see when in NYC! All cast were superb especially the two lead singers! Hunt round for best deal though so you don't get stung.

Visited July 2013

Port Alberni, Canada
30 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I saw this show in Vegas and read the reviews here. I was nervous to go see it as there were a number of people who had negative things to say. If you have never seen the show, I'm sure you will love it, just like me and my daughter did. The singing, the music, the costumes, everything was amazing. My only complaint, the A/C was really good, so my shorts and t'shirt were not adequate to keep me warm. Bring a coat along.

Toronto, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“SO disappointed...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had watched the Phantom on stage twice in Toronto decades ago and remembered it as intriguing, heart-wrenching and darkly appealing. Thought I'd give it a try on Broadway, the 'it' place to be if you've made it big. I was totally unprepared for the less than mediocre, bordering on ludicrous at times, acting, singing and staging. The mechanical, under- to no acting, or the over-the-top, maniacal drama was so horrible to behold. I actually cringed at times and wished I had spent the thoughtful gift certificate from my cousin on something with more substance. Wow! It was BAD...

Visited July 2013
Montreal, Canada
25 attraction reviews
“I guess it is playing at the Majestic theater because it is Majestic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well I guess it is very hard reviewing a show that has been playing for the last 30 years. This statement alone should provide the overview that Phantom of the Opera is nothing less than unparalleled talent relating one of the most beautiful stories

The show plays at the Majestic theater which is on 8th and 44th (actually it is between 7th and 8th but more towards 8th). It plays each day except Sundays at 2PM and 8PM. I have seen a lot of Broadway shows and there was no way that I am missing on this one this time I am in NYC. Here's my opinion of the entire experience:

1- Tickets
I booked my tickets around three weeks in advance on http://www.broadway.com/shows/the-phantom-of-the-opera/. I didn't want to venture and bu the tickets upon arrival in NYC as those sell like chips. This site offers you the chance to view the seating area and buy the tickets online, you will then receive a confirmation e-mail, receipt and your tickets in PDF format which you can take with you to the theater or you can withdraw your tickets from the theater at any time before the show.
There many seating options but they are basically distributed onto three sections: The Mezzanine, The Orchestra and Premium. Obviously Premium is the most expensive as you are seated on one of the balconies, Orchestra is just on the ground floor directly in front of the theater and Mezzanine is on the upper level which provides also a great view of the stage, just a little less when you are seated in the rear mezzanine which is obviously the cheaper tickets. I paid around $182 for my ticket, but this is not a fixed price as rates fluctuate depending on the season. I was seated in the Orchestra area 17 rows away from the stage. It was a great view, experience and able to see everything in its finest details.
Another choice for getting cheaper tickets is to actually make the queue on Times Square, I guess you will get around 20% to 40% but the wait time is huge and you can end up standing for 2 or 3 hours just to get the discounts. If you have never seen Phantom of The Opera before, invest in the full price, it is definitely worth it

2- The Theater
The Majestic theater is definitely the best place to have this kind of show. It has been around since around 1930 and the show has been playing there for the last 25 years. The seating is perfect and I think no matter where you sit, you will always have at least a nice view of the stage and definitely a crystal clear sound of the songs and acoustics being played. The theater seats 1,650 individuals in all its section, you don't even feel when the place is fully loaded.
I went to the 8PM show and doors open at around 7:30PM, so expect a long line in front of the theater that stretches way back to 7th avenue, so be there on time so you can be admitted fast and get a chance at the souvenir shop or the bar.
Note that consumption you buy from the bar is not permitted in the theater, but there is a guy with a goody basket who would walk around before the show and sell snacks including wine, he will do that another time during the 15 minutes break
I loved the theater I guess this is what gave the show additional style and class
A lot of people ask what to wear when going to Phantom of the Opera, well there ain't no specific requested clothing, some people come casual and some others come in very elegant, it depends on where you are continuing your night after the show, but most people will come in at least casual chic, so it is recommended that you come in wearing at least that

3- The show
Well I think it is running at the Majestic theater because it is simply majestic. Phantom of the Opera is a pure work of art that keeps you breathless for days after the show. The artists play the roles in infinite perfection embodying the story in its finest details.
Most people are familiar with the famous songs of the show and they are perfectly well performed throughout the show. The scene where the Phantom takes the maiden down to his lair is simply breath taking, you can;t keep your eyes away, all your senses are concentrated on this perfect work of art that simply radiates with beauty.
For two and half hours, you are taken by the story and you feel like you are living it along with the actors, the perfection of the acting feels like the actor are holding your hand and taking you with them into the lines of the story looking at them through the songs, lights and decor.

Phantom of the Opera is perfect and it is highly recommended for everybody visiting NYC. Make sure you make it a whole night by continuing your night at some nice restaurant in the city or a cool lounge place.(that is actually a great idea for a date if you want to leave a long impression on your girlfriend)

Chicago, IL
“So so for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Lacked storyline and did not draw me in. The group singing was more like watching a carnival with cross-noise, making the voices inaudible. Too much like a fair.
High marks for Costumes, Choreography and the sopranos were good.
The detail to movement in the dance routines is worthy of mention.
These folks worked their butts off to put a production together like this.
Perhaps the theatre is too old and acoustics are off making vocals less distinct.
Phantom is a drama and I expected that and no such delivery.
Seems they went off script to compete with Lion King, Motown and Jersey Boys.
If I wanted visual dazzling I would see the Lion King. Music with a story, Jersey Boys tops the list hands down.
We chose the front mezzanine and thought it good at $142 per person.
Wine is $24 a glass. Service at the bar is chatty and the bartender fairly dumb to hand a large crowd, opting to talk about rather than serve quickly. Then, he gets caught at the last minute rushing and telling people, I can't serve you.
The doormen will look inside every girl's purse (probably for alcohol).