“So so for me” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera
245 West 44th Street, Majestic Theater, New York City, NY 10025 (Midtown)
Website
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, IL
“So so for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Lacked storyline and did not draw me in. The group singing was more like watching a carnival with cross-noise, making the voices inaudible. Too much like a fair.
High marks for Costumes, Choreography and the sopranos were good.
The detail to movement in the dance routines is worthy of mention.
These folks worked their butts off to put a production together like this.
Perhaps the theatre is too old and acoustics are off making vocals less distinct.
Phantom is a drama and I expected that and no such delivery.
Seems they went off script to compete with Lion King, Motown and Jersey Boys.
If I wanted visual dazzling I would see the Lion King. Music with a story, Jersey Boys tops the list hands down.
We chose the front mezzanine and thought it good at $142 per person.
Wine is $24 a glass. Service at the bar is chatty and the bartender fairly dumb to hand a large crowd, opting to talk about rather than serve quickly. Then, he gets caught at the last minute rushing and telling people, I can't serve you.
The doormen will look inside every girl's purse (probably for alcohol).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
43 attraction reviews
“My favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I saw it before and went to it again. Every time I see it as if seeing it for first time. It is so fascinating and magic. The music and the snags are great.

Palos Verdes Estates, California
“Summer in NYC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We took our kids to see this, since we enjoyed the original production immensely. This production is much smaller, so although good, it didn't have as much impact. My teenage boys didn't love it.

Visited July 2013
Canada
30 attraction reviews
“Gotta see it eventually, I guess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I did get the tickets through TKTS, so at least we didn't pay full price. But the problem with a show that's still in the same production, 25 years later, is that all of the annoyingly-'80s things about Phantom haven't changed: the crummy synthesizer music, the over-amplified feeling, the costumes, etc. And why would anything ever change? It's the most successful Broadway show of all time; if 10,000+ people have been happily seeing it in its current form, why would you possibly update it? One wonders what someone could do to make it more fun.

4 attraction reviews
“GREAT AS USUAL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was a great experience. Our family loved the venue and the play was spectacular. I had never seen it before and am glad it was from a Broadway production. Great job cast!!!